icon

I need the perfect Sub enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eeh1025 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2002 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  

Hi there i have a couple of questions for you i recenlty bought  2 JL audio 12w6s.  There are dual voice coil and are 6ohm single and 3ohm dual.each speaker PT is 300watts. I have a JL audio 500/1 @1.5 ohm amplifier i will wire the subs in parallel so they will be 1.5 ohms.  so all thats great my question is the box.  I have a 1993 mustang hatchbackand i dont have much room, i was wondering which box would be better ported,sealed,or bandpass ETC considering the power that i have, each sub needs 1.25 sealed and 2.25 ported, i want a to make the best, the loudiest and that will produce the most SPL ,qestion is, If you know what a 1993 mustangs trunk looks like, the measurements are 48long 12high 20lenght what do you think i should do, how do you think i sould design it and could you give me the measurements that you come up.  thanks alot for all your help.

Ernie

matrix 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2002 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
the best box for your application is going to be ported.  the specs you just gave equal 5.22 cu. ft. internal volume.  You only need 4 cu. ft. to port that enclosure.  If you build  a box to that spec than you may have a problem getting it in the trunk.  First decide how big it can be by measuring the outside of he truck opening or the opening through the back seats.
matrixman
jthom999 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2002 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  
don't know where you are located, but I have a custom fiberglass box for a 93 mustang with 3 JL 12W6's that I'm trying to get rid of. I'm in tampa, Florida.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2002 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
JL spends lots of time designing and testing boxes for their subs. If you go to http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/12w6.html they have the specs for the volume to build a box for what ever type of application you’re looking for such as SPL. Evaluate your trunk and figure out how much room you have to work with. Take the volume of the enclosure that you want to build from the JL site. Go to the12volts volume calculator https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp  and start to plug in the dimensions of your box until you find the correct volume and size of the enclosure that will work in your trunk. Hope this helps

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic