the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

First Console, Pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 21, 2005 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

That looks absolutely incredible!  Did you build that whole piece from scratch?  Or did you build on to a factory piece?  Either way you did a great job.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2005 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  

hey Vinn...i secured the stereo by gluing/nailing a piece of 1/2" thick wood on the desired angle and then screwing in the metal case that the actual player slides and locks into (not sure what its called, lol) with flathead screws...pretty simple...if that made sense. 

thanks Steven.  The entire console was made from scratch...started with the base and sides so i could get the angle right, then i measured out the length and hight that the armrests had to be and roughed out a quick design..glued and nailed it all together, then did the wood for the cd player, the cupholders and then staple/glued the fleece followed by the resin and filler and sanding and primer and paint and polishing n stuff.

fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2005 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  

I would say make a little cubby hole/storage bend.  Add a little lite that comes on with the interior lights and then your done.

That console is sweet...  keep up the work...

placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2005 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
hey thats an awesome idea with the light...i'll do that.  the cubby hole thing is built and i'm just going to fleece it or something, but yea...i never thought of a light.  Is there anything wrong with hooking up a neon to the int light?  Not sure if the lower voltage is good or not for it.
jarnld 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2005 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
great job!  What kind of paint and where did you get it?  What steps did you take in painting it?  Primer, paint sand, etc. etc.. thanks! Share the wealth!
maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2005 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  
technically - in an untechnical way - i had a pair of neons connected directly to my dome lamp for the longest time.... 3 years? 93 pontiac sunbird. never once had a problem. *Shrugs* Technically, however, its ideal to put 'accessories' that piss off the cops on their own circuits, using a relay triggered by the dome lamp wire/interior lamp wires to activate your neon affects. also, you can incorporate a switch, to allow for the mood lighting to be active even if the dome lamps are off.
~~Vinn
placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2005 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  

paint is called -Black Sapphire- and the steps to painting it after finishing off the console with 280 gritt are 3 coats filler primer sanding with 280 between coats, and then wetsanding with 600 on the last coat.  Sprayed the color on 2 full wetcoats and wetsanded again with 600 and then put on a final 2 wetcoats.  i also clearcoated it after letting the paint dry and roughing it up with 1000 , just 3 coats with about 15 min between coats so it was still tacky.

i wasnt sure if i should put a switch in to turn the light off and on, but yea i could hook up a relay as it seems like a pretty simple setup, thanks for the idea.  I gotta get my *** in gear and finish off the armrest and pocket, but i picked up the material a couple days ago so i just have to get cracking now.

placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  

well i got the armrest done.  Gotta say i hate working vinyl around curves.  I did 2 layers of padding (the pillow stuffing stuff) i think it woulda looked better with the edges rounded off but the router wasnt working.

First Console, Pics - Page 2 -- posted image.

First Console, Pics - Page 2 -- posted image.

I also got the pocket done, just a little 1/8" box covered in black fleece, but it looks pretty good when theres something in it (otherwise it looks like a black hole unless the light is on)

now i just have to worry about selling the car.

Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2005 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  

i like it, what made you decide to move your radio down there if you had nothign to put up top?

just curious, most people move their radio's down ther because they are putting tv's up there and need the space or something... anyways, tv's are always an idea to take up space :-D

Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2005 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
i wanted to do the center console first, but i wanted to make it with a cd player in it.  At first i was going to put a tach where the old radio was but did a pocket instead (good choice guys).  I dont regret doing the pocket where the old radio was instead of in the console.  either way i would have had to do something where the old radio was since the radio is twice as tall as the cd player.  I like the setup, its pretty comfortable having the pocket up top and the cd player lower down.  I personally dont like tv's in cars unless its for the kids or something (which i dont have anyways, lol) If i was keeping the car i would have put the tach in though.  Right now its up for sale.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic