icon

Hardwiring LED's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
edwin2213 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2005 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
I'm planning on hardwiring some interior LED's to a switch im putting into my dash. I was wondering if anyone had any instructions or tips on how to do it. Thanks
nowlater123 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  
If wiring them to a switch, just make sure you have the correct resistor value for the LED and the 12v system.
Kenwood all the Way!
a_l_e_X1 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2005 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  

Calculation for resistor:

Car battery voltage: 12V

LED forward voltage: get from LED specs, about 3V
LED current: get from LED specs, about 30mA

Resistor = (12V - 3V) / 0.03A = 300 Ohms

0.03A = 30mA

Power dissipated in the resistor:

(12V - 3V) * 0.03mA = 0.27Watt = 270mW

So, it should be a 1/2Watt, around 300 Ohms resistor (doesn't matte if you don't find exactly 300 Ohms, can be higher BUT NOT LOWER).

Get that resistor from a local electronics supplier (or Radio Shack if you're too lazy to look for one and have extra $$$).

Hope it helps,

TI|CP

casaus19 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2005 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
so if you were to hook up a string of 10 led's would you need a resistor for each led or how would you go about wiring them
Imagination is more powerfull than knowledge
customcarchris 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  
If you want a string of LEDs then you can either put a resistor on each one, or wire a few in a series with a resistor for the series. Usually you cannot run more than three LEDs at a time if they are 3V and up. Running LEDs in a series would also require a different value resistor for the series.
a_l_e_X1 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  

OK, let's say each LED is rated at 3 volts. So, you can only put 4 LEDs in series (3 times 4 is 12V), WITHOUT needing the resistor.

If you want to put more, than make series of 4 leds and put those series in parallel. EX: you want 8 LEDs, so make two groups of 4 LEDs and put those two groups in parallel.

Make sure you don't mess the polarity. In series, (+) of one LED goes to (-) of another LED. In Parallel, (+) goes with (+) and (-) with (-).

If you need to put 6 LEDs, then put 4 in series, then form a group of 2 LEDs and a resistor (value = [12-(3+3)]/0.02 = 300 Ohms), and put this group in parallel with the first one (**I assumed LEDs of 3 Volts at 20 mA).

If you're still confused, I can post a picture.

Alex

casaus19 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  

i understand what you are saying, but i am a visual learner and that would help out greatly

Imagination is more powerfull than knowledge
customcarchris 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  

Whatever groupings you choose, try and make them even and the total count even, then you won't need different resistors for each group.

Ex: 9 LEDs is better in 3 groups of 3 than 2 groups of 4 and one single.

a_l_e_X1 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2005 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  

Hardwiring LED's -- posted image.

Hope it helps (and doesn't confuse you more, :D)

Alex

customcarchris 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2005 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  

I don't agree with that picture very much, the first image would be ok if your LEDs matched ok.  The second one has the resistor on the negative side, you need the resistor on the positive side before the LED series.  The third picture has the LEDs in parallel with one resistor, this should be avoided in case LEDs don't have the exact same voltage, one will light and others not and then the one will burn out.

The second image is the most useful, but put the resistor on the other side of the series, on the positive side of the first LED.  The second most effective way is just one resistor and LED, then you don't have to connect the LED legs together if they are far apart.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic