icon

Durango will not start after install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rdlybeck 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2005 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, My vehicle will not start after installing alarm and starter system.  I have a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT w/keyless entry.  It has a black key so doge told me I have no factory anti-theft.  I installed everything as instructed and for some reason the kar wont crank even with the key.  The starter wire still gets 12 volts while trying to crank, the battery is brand new and tested last night, and all the fuses and relays are good.  What do I do now?  Unplugging the power to the starter system did no good, I'm planning on trying to remove all the wires if that is the problem.  Thanks
Ryan Lybeck
"Wiring diagrams are nice but still double check with DMM"!
rdlybeck 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
Update, I'm able to start the vehicle by taking a wire from the battery to pin 87 of starter relay.  However when testing the relay no power is getting to that while the key is in start.  I'm thinking fuse but can';t find ti.  Does anyone have any other ideas I'm not thinking of?
Ryan Lybeck
rdlybeck 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
I installed a remote starter and think I might have blown a fusable link or sensor.  The vehicle will not start with the key or remote.  I have power in the start wire after my connections but not at the starter relay.  However touching 12 volts to the starter relay will start the vehicle.  I was told by Dodge that my vehicle does not have a neutral safety switch like I was thinking but has speed sensors instead.  Also the ABS light stays on when I do "hot wire" the vehicle.  Any ideas on what could be wrong?  Thanks in advance!
Ryan Lybeck
swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
hook back up your starter wire and see if it will start. Aslo waht kind of alram/rs you have. how do you have your start relay wired. waht year is your truck.
rdlybeck 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry to forget to include this but its a 2000 Dodge Durango.  After realizing my problem I unhooked the starter kill relay and rewired the starter wire back together.  Its a Radiostar King-eagle unit.  Both before and after my connections to the start wire I am reading 12 volts with my volt meter when I turn the key to start.  However going to the starter relay I should see 12 volts in pin 86 with the key in start and I do not.  I tested the relay and it is good.  Some where the start wire looses its power before it gets to the relay.  I'm baffled!
Ryan Lybeck
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  

Check & RE-Check your wiring..........

ALSO:

Neutral SafetyBLACK/ WHITE (-)AT SWITCH ON TRANSMISSION OR PCM *

Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Is Located On Passenger Rear Of Engine Compartment In Front Of Washer Fluid Reservoir

Ignition #3D GREEN/ RED **IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
** 18 Gage Dark GREEN/ Red Must See A 12v Ignition At Start Up. This Wire Is Only On The 2000 Year Model.

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
rdlybeck 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2005 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  

Dodge told me that with my transmission I do not have a neutral safety switch which is what I thought was wrong.  Instead I have speed sensors inside my transmissin that are used as the safety switch. 

On the wiring diagram listed on this sight it says to use a yellow wire as the neutral safety under the dash.  I found this wire and used it initially when I first noticed the problem.  I have since removed it and grounded it.  Now your saying it is black and white that I should have used.  I wonder what wire I used and if that wire screwed something up with a speed sensor or something.  It travels up near where the headlight switch is but then I loose it. 

Haven't looked into the 3rd ignition wire yet, but I am going to remove everything I did tomarrow and see if I can just worry about getting the car fised. 

Thanks for the ideas

Ryan Lybeck
OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2005 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
take the relay out and reconnect the starter wire just like it originally was.
rdlybeck 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2005 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  

I already did take the starter relay out and reconnected the starter disable relay.  When I crank the key I have 12 volts in the starter wire. 

But when I go under the hood and test the starter relay I get no power from the key while cranking.  I know the starter works cause if I touch a wire from the battery to the starter relay pin 87 I get the starter to start.  I'm just not getting power to that relay while cranking. 

Ryan Lybeck
rdlybeck 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2005 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  

I wrote earlier about my 2000 Dodge Durango that will not start with key after installing a remote starter and security system from Radiostar.  Thanks to all those who tried to help but I still have not had any luck except starting by bypassing the relay.  Now the problem seems to be worse. 

When I attempt to start the vehicle witht he key, the wires at the ignition switch all get 12 volts but it does not crank,  At the starter relay it does not recieve power fromt he key during start.  I am able to start the vehicle by using a wire from poss battery terminal to pin 87 of starter relay. 

Now the ABS light stays on while driving and today the Spedometer stopped working and Cruise control stopped working. 

Any ideas????  Is this a speed sensor?  A brake switch?  Or a computer problem??

Do I need to take it to Dodge or is there a way I might be able to find out what the problem is.  I live in the Twin Cities of Minnesota if anybody lives around here. 

Thanks

Ryan Lybeck
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic