icon

Question on line converter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
I_dont_know 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2005 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  

Alright, I think this idea is bad, but I need a second opinion.  Someone wants to install an amp to their stock HU.  Another person suggests splicing an RCA directly into the speaker line in the back of the stock HU and is saying it will be better than say a scosche line converter. 

If i understand right and correct me if im wrong, the converter changes the speaker power into just a signal so the amp can process it and do what it does.  Now, what would the outcome be if one were to run an already amped signal (from the HU) to the amp?

Any additional informaiton would be wonderful.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 16, 2005 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  
More info here:  http://www.peripheral-aamp.com/peri_faq_main.htm#4
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2005 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
I_dont_know wrote:

Alright, I think this idea is bad, but I need a second opinion. Someone wants to install an amp to their stock HU. Another person suggests splicing an RCA directly into the speaker line in the back of the stock HU and is saying it will be better than say a scosche line converter.

If i understand right and correct me if im wrong, the converter changes the speaker power into just a signal so the amp can process it and do what it does. Now, what would the outcome be if one were to run an already amped signal (from the HU) to the amp?

This is a very bad idea. You MUST lower the head unit's output to a level the amp is capable of using. If you do not want to do it the RIGHT way, simply tap the speaker leads at the rear speakers and feed THOSE into the amp's speaker level input (if so equipped) The cleaner way is to use a LOC, and more universally acceptable - this option will work with pretty much EVERY amplifier...
stevdart wrote:
MAN, that's a hard page to read... gah.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
theconartist 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2005 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
I_dont_know wrote:

Alright, I think this idea is bad, but I need a second opinion. Someone wants to install an amp to their stock HU. Another person suggests splicing an RCA directly into the speaker line in the back of the stock HU and is saying it will be better than say a scosche line converter.

If i understand right and correct me if im wrong, the converter changes the speaker power into just a signal so the amp can process it and do what it does. Now, what would the outcome be if one were to run an already amped signal (from the HU) to the amp?

This is a very bad idea. You MUST lower the head unit's output to a level the amp is capable of using. If you do not want to do it the RIGHT way, simply tap the speaker leads at the rear speakers and feed THOSE into the amp's speaker level input (if so equipped) The cleaner way is to use a LOC, and more universally acceptable - this option will work with pretty much EVERY amplifier...
stevdart wrote:
MAN, that's a hard page to read... gah.

Now i had the same question i asked a few days ago, so how would one do what you said here. I seen a friend do this, by splicing the rca's and connecting the wires to the rear speakers in the back deck of his car and everything was just fine like running the rca's do the back of a stereo. I want to do this but i do not know how to, or what wires to connect to each other. My rear speaker has two wires a brown and a white, and the rca's have three wires a red a white and just a plain bare wire. Help. Cole.

JAydawg21 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
<>

OK, I'm not sure I completely understand here but I'll try to clarify. Your RCA’s output about a 3 – 4 volt signal depending on your HU. The amp is designed to take a low current, 3 – 4 volt signal and boost its current and voltage so you get enough juice to move a heavy speaker cone. Aside from thermal problems, inputting an already amplified signal will drive your amp into saturation and clip the output signal at 12 volts. Your amp can only output a voltage as big as you give it (12 volt battery). Picture an input sine wave on its first half cycle. It starts at 0, increases to 4 volts, and decreases back to 0 before it goes negative. When the input signal reaches 4 volts, ideally your output signal will be at the same voltage as the collector, which is biased by the 12 volt batt. Now if you input an already amplified signal, your sine wave starts at 0, goes up to 4 volts again, but this time only half the audio signal is done. The input continues to climb to whatever, 5, 6, 7, 8 volts, but the amp doesn’t care because its already outputting its max voltage of 12 volts, and will continue to do so until the input comes back down to 4 v or less.

I don’t know if I painted a good picture here but I tried my best without a graph. I probably made some assumptions on this too, so anyone who knows what the hell I’m talking about, feel free to correct me. But basically, when all is said and done. NO, you cant throw RCA connectors onto your speaker wires and put them directly to your RCA amp inputs. This is also the reason for input gain control. So that most HU’s pre-amp outputs can be matched to a particular amp without clipping the signal. Sorry if that’s more than you were looking for.

'97 Jeep Cherokee sport
subs: JL 12w3v2 : RF 500a2 :
RF 1F capacitor
doors: 6" Diamond D361i -> RF 200a4
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
jay wrote:
OK, I'm not sure I completely understand here but I'll try to clarify. Your RCA’s output about a 3 – 4 volt signal depending on your HU. The amp is designed to take a low current, 3 – 4 volt signal and boost its current and voltage so you get enough juice to move a heavy speaker cone. Aside from thermal problems, inputting an already amplified signal will drive your amp into saturation and clip the output signal at 12 volts. Your amp can only output a voltage as big as you give it (12 volt battery). Picture an input sine wave on its first half cycle. It starts at 0, increases to 4 volts, and decreases back to 0 before it goes negative. When the input signal reaches 4 volts, ideally your output signal will be at the same voltage as the collector, which is biased by the 12 volt batt. Now if you input an already amplified signal, your sine wave starts at 0, goes up to 4 volts again, but this time only half the audio signal is done. The input continues to climb to whatever, 5, 6, 7, 8 volts, but the amp doesn’t care because its already outputting its max voltage of 12 volts, and will continue to do so until the input comes back down to 4 v or less.
Nope. An amplifier is a transformer. It converts the incoming DC current into an alternating current which is then transformed into a higher voltage.
JAydawg21 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2005 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  

No, a transformer steps up or steps down an AC voltage using the principles of electro-magnetic induction.  An amplifier uses transistor biases to control the direction of electron flow, but it is impossible to create a greater potential difference than you start with.  Meaning you cannot increase your signal voltage any greater than your collecter bias voltage, which in 12 V assuming the battery is just 12 V.  and acctually its 12 minus the .7  volt drop across the semiconductor junction in the transistors. 

Also, devises that turn DC power into sinusoidal AC are called inverters.  AC into DC are rectifiers. 

'97 Jeep Cherokee sport
subs: JL 12w3v2 : RF 500a2 :
RF 1F capacitor
doors: 6" Diamond D361i -> RF 200a4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic