DEI 555l , 2001 Alero

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Joe Trinkley 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
bobk wrote:
I don't think a bypass is going to solve your problem.
Joe Trinkley 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  

bobk wrote:
What is happening that you have to wait to start? If you have a key problem then a bypass may work if it is a keyless bypass, if it is a battery or a security cpu problem then no.

It's a passlock II on an Alero, the security light blinks and I have to wait ten minutes for it to reset....why wouldn't a bypass work again, what's a keyless bypass

Joe Trinkley 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  

bobk wrote:
The reason that is happening is that it does not see that you have the right key in the ign. It may be the key, the cpu or a ign. switch. A keyless bypass is where you don't need a key in the bypass to work.

well...if the correct key is in the ignition then it sends the correct resistance back to the passlock II system that allows the fuel pump to run and the car to start.  With a bypass I was hoping to learn that resistance and bypass the "send back" feature of the passlock II, hence always feeding the passlock to the correct code to start. 

Joe Trinkley 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  

This is the problem with using the search feature, there are lots of articles on this subject and a whole lot of negative posts about how "this and that" will not work, but no solutions....please, try to limit responses to solution thoughts and not negative mumbojumbo.  If you've ever noticed before the person with the "this and that" will not work also doesn't have a solution

Joe Trinkley 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
Joe Trinkley wrote:

I know most of you are sick of hearing this question, but I've read until my eyes were bleeding and can't find the answer I'm looking for.

My question...I have a 2001 Alero with Passlock II system.  I want to bypass it and I do NOT have or want a remote start system.  Will the DEI 555l module work on a system without a remote start.  Could you please talk in elementary terms as well as I'm no mechanic or electronics guru.  Could you also give a description of the installation that needs to be done?  

I disagree...perhaps we can agree to disagree.    iskidoo!! where are you?

iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
We don't really know if the bypass will fix your particular problem. Usually, people are just trying to temporarily bypass the key to remote start the vehicle but their Passlock 2 system is working just like it's designed to. So given that your whole Passlock system has an intermittent problem you might be wasting your money and time with the bypass. But if you want to try it then it involves about 4 wires on the unit and then some initial programming using the existing working key.
~ Constant Ground (vehicle chassis)
~ Constant +12 volts
~ a ground while starting
~ data wire (PIN#2 OF OBDII DIAGNOSTIC CONNECTOR)
Most remote starters supply a ground out when starting that feeds the 3rd input. Where you are not using a remote starter, you may have to add some kind of relay that inverts your +12volt starter wire into a negative (ground) to feed your bypass unit.
After doing all that if you still have the issue then your going to probably have to pay a visit to the dealer to get the system fixed. But without knowing exactly what piece of the Passlock System is causing the intermittent problem, it's hard to give you a viable solution. I know how to get around the Passlock system but I don't know how to repair it. You may want to try some auto mechanic sites to see what those guys have to say. Good luck though.
Joe Trinkley 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  

Ok then, I have a couple questions...

do you need to stick the key in the ignition before you start to drive if you use a remote start unit?  I'm just curious if you remote start the car, then stick the key in it to drive will the passlock reject the key and shut down the car?

I'm pretty sure my problem is the ignition lock. 

iskidoo 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  
Once the vehicle is remotely started, you get in put the key in turn the ignition to on and then go. The Passlock will not reinitialize when you put the key in if it's already running, no.
If you press the brake though before turning the key on you will have to restart it with the key. The brake shuts down the remote start unit so the key takes over after you press it.
Joe Trinkley 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 5:49 AM / IP Logged  

so after remote starting with the bypass, the passlock system will not care about the key you put in the ignition and turn to on, it will still run.  Ok...

Let's say I put in the RS and bypass kit correctly and the bypass learns the code for the first time.  Then I stop using the RS and start starting the car by the key again(because the RS is only there for emergencies).  Then the passlock doesn't recognize my key one day.  Will I be able to start the car using the RS that has the correct code that's stored in the bypass?  Will the bypass lose its original configuration by using the key to start the car?  How often does the bypass relearn? and can it relearn at the exact time that it shouldn't relearn, which is when the passlock isn't working with the key?

Slowly but surely I'm understanding

Thanks and sorry for being confusing and repititous

Joe

iskidoo 
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
Once the bypass has learned the code it shouldn't need to be reprogrammed and shouldn't by accident. If your Passlock goes into tamper mode it will lock itself out for 10 minutes no matter what. You can't get around it even if you use the bypass with the correct code. This is by design to thwart would be thieves that try to use a few different key codes. It's not going to let the wrong code happen more than a few times without going into tamper. Not too many smash and grab thieves will sit there for 10 minutes to wait it out and try again.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic