icon

2000 S10, Amp Wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stagger 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, I have a 2000 S10 Xtreme and want to upgrade my stock stereo. I have an alpine head and looking to go with 1 external amp for a sub. I will power the 6.5" doors and 4x6 Dash off the receiver.
Im trying to find the best place to bring the amp wire thru the firewall. My receiver (Alpine 9833) is a high power unit and needs to get its power from the battery, and I may want to put my Precision Power amp in at a later time so I think I will wire it right the first time with 4 ga wire going to a distro block, and dido for the ground block.
Where is the best place to get the 4ga wire thru the firewall? The battery is on the passenger side, and there is all the AC crap on the firewall on that side. The antenna passes thru in this area but looks very hard to get to.
Someone said to go under the truck and up thru the floor where my amp amp rack will be, but I dont know if I like doing this.
Can anybody give me some advise for where to get the 4ga thru, I may go with 2 since I may wire the grounds directly to the battery?
Thanks in advance....
dc60531 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 98 s10 there is a hole on the passenger side fire wall under the carpet. It has a rubber groument with one of the ac wires going through it. I just cut some of the rubber out and slide my 4 guage through it. Hope this helps.
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  

DO NOT run the grounds from the battery!

ss-installer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
P.S. high power head units dont need to run from the battery, just use the stock wiring - its already there and fused.
stagger 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  

So DONT go directly to the battery for the grounds?  I thought this would isolate noise?

stagger 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  

I was also told to go under the truck and up trhu the floor where my AMP Rack will be behind the seats, any thoughts on this????

ss-installer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
the longer the ground the more the amp will hurt. ground the amps to the chassis as short as possible and make sure all the paint is scraped and the screw is tight. ground wire should have as little resistance as possible.
ss-installer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
try not to subject the power wire to the weather or any moving parts or you will be back to step one with the install (and maybe new equipment).
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
In some cases it's better to ground directly to the battery. A 4 gauge ground cable from your amp to your battery could easily have a lower resistance than the frame of your car/truck.
stagger 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  

Hey I dont like the idea of running the cable under the truck, but it will be tough to hide a 4 ga wire in this application.  There is virtual no room to route cable.

If I do run it under I will encase it in flex loom which will help with the scaffing and possible shorting, and help to protect it from the weather somewhat.

I just thought going to the battery was better for the ground because of noise and plus most cars/trucks have a small GA wire coming off the chasis to the neg battery, and this will limit the ground signal.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic