icon

focal utopia 136w components

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hookemtim 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2005 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
I have a set of focal utopia 136w components that I will be installing into my 2001 Z71 with 2-10" Memphis Audio subs.  The amp I want to run the Utopia speakers on is a Phoenix Gold Octane R-5.0:4 channel amp (4 x 80 stereo or 2 x 250 bridged @ 4 ohm).  The headunit is a Kenwood mp3 player with only 2 sets of pre-outs (front and rear). Any thoughts on what to do? 
2001 Z-71
Focal Utopia 136w components
Phoenix Gold 4 channel 500w
2-10" Memphis Audio
Phoenix Gold X2300 300w
MA Audio 800w monoblock
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2005 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
SEll the Kenwood and get something better (Nakamichi,Alpine,McIntosh,Eclipse)
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2005 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
Are you planning on using rear-speakers?
Are you using the PG amp to run those subs or do you have a seperate amp for those?
Either way, most headunits have a function to turn the rear-preamps into a subwoofer output.
More information about what you want to do..!
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
hookemtim 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2005 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
I have another pg amp for the 10's.  It is a PG x50 (300w bridged @ 4 ohm).  My headunit has only the 2 pre-outs, but I can make the rear into a sub-preout.  It also has a seperate crossover for the front and rear pre outs.  Should i even use the crossover option on my headunit or the crossover on my amps?  The amp that is acutally in question has hi lo and pass options with variable crossover settings (30 to 300 hz) and a subsonic filter(20-55hz).  That starts to get in to the "there are to many damn options on this thing" What I was hoping to do is to bridge the front 2 channels on one side of my components, and the rear on the other.  Will that work, or is that too much for the amp?  Any comments or wiring info. would help
2001 Z-71
Focal Utopia 136w components
Phoenix Gold 4 channel 500w
2-10" Memphis Audio
Phoenix Gold X2300 300w
MA Audio 800w monoblock
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2005 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
Okay, it doesn't matter which xovers you use, as long you don't cascade them along the signal chain.
I always use the xovers on my amps so if I disconnect my battery to play with something my entire system tune doesn't get lost in the void of a HU's flash memory.
You want to run a briged 4-channel to a set of componets and don't know how to do the xover setting on the amp then?
1)Yes, bridging the amp to your componets like that should give you extraordinarily good results.
2)Set your xover to 80hz Hi-pass on your 4-channel... with the hi-pass filter set like that your subsonic filter won't do anything. (subsonic filter=hipass filter with a *very* low xover point)
3)Set your xover to 80hz low-pass with the sub-sonic filter at 30hz for your subwoofer amp okay?
Any more questions?
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic