icon

converting from 3 bulb to 2 bulb tails?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
compleckz 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2005 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 97 ranger, with 04 ranger tails..
the wiring has a single fil. reverse bulb, a dual fil. stop/tail, and then a single for turn signal.. so 3 bulbs stock, with 3 compartments in the tail light for bulbs..
the new tails have only 2 compartments, 1 spot for the reverse and then a second for a stop/tail/turn.
what i need to accomplish is: i need to get the brake light and tail (1 bulb dual fil) to turn off on one side while i am signaling, and then back on to simulate flashing.. like when the signal wire gets power something switches to kill power to the bulb.. maybe relay or some switch?
im not quite sure how to do this. i'm just trying to simulate what the newer trucks do, so i can use the different style tails.
thanks!
Andrew
Hoptup32 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2005 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  

Here's one way to wire the new turn/brake light setup, I bench tested it so I know it will work as shown. The diagram only shows one rear light configuration, so you will have to duplicate this setup for the other rear light as well.

When the brake only is applied, it goes thru the left relay and to the bulb. When the turn signal is applied it activates the left relay, in case the brakes are applied, if the brakes are not applied, the turn signal power flows thru the right relay and flashes normally. If the turn signal and brakes are applied, the brake signal overrides the right relay and the turn signal feed interrupts or flashes the brake light signal when the turn signal flasher flashes. The diodes are needed to keep the power from backfeeding power to the individual circuits when necessary. You can get the 1N4001 diodes from Radio Shack(Part #276-1101).

One thing to be aware of is that a turn signal flasher(typically a 552) will only activate or flash when it sees a load on the other side, for example, the turn signal light bulb. This setup is wired so that if the brakes are applied, the turn signal bulb is isolated when the right relay is activated, so the load to this bulb is not present any longer. However, on most turn signal circuits, the flasher should be sending power to both the front and rear turn signal bulbs, so the flasher would still sense the load to the front bulb and the left relay should activate and the rear bulb should flash as indicated. If for some reason the front and rear turn signal feeds are seperate and the rear turn signal is not sensing a load causing the flasher not to flash, I believe you could connect a resistor to terminal 86 on the left relay, to simulate the bulb load, thereby flashing the brake signal.

Maybe auex or John DeRosa can come up with a simpler diagram.

converting from 3 bulb to 2 bulb tails? - Last Post -- posted image.

Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2005 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

If all you're trying to do is run a double bulb tailight assy in a vehicle that had a triple bulb setup you can get adapter boxes to do this.. the actual purpose of the box is to allow someone to run a trailer.

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productid=4993&categoryID=209

Jim

compleckz 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2005 at 5:20 AM / IP Logged  
Mad Scientists:
hmm would the trailer converter handle both tail lights? i like that idea only because it is smaller and much cleaner than i myself could do with relays and wiring. so i could probably mount this under the dash, or wherever the rear right and left wires both split to rear channels?
Hoptup32, thank you very much for the diagram, i still may end up using it..
Andrew
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2005 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  

Yup.. one box controls both rear lights. I've used them in the exact same situation you're facing. Chrysler that was having different year taillights installed; the box makes it easy.

Jim

compleckz 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
so i got a trailer wiring converter similar to the one you posted.. it has inputs for r. turn, l. turn, brake, tail, ground... then outputs for everything but the brake (because it then runs on the same wires as the r and l turns...
i finally got around to hooking it up, the problem is that when the brake is applied with either turn signal on, the turn signals blinks rapidly, everything else functions normal..
is this a situation for a diode? if so, how many, where, and which direction?
thanks!
Andrew
compleckz 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
actually resistor right?
Andrew
compleckz 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
actually resistor right?
Andrew
compleckz 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
actually resistor right?
Andrew
compleckz 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
figured it out, heavy duty flasher did the trick!
Andrew

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic