icon

Enclosure pod

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bachsarte 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2005 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
I needed .12 cu ft sealed enclosure for this 6 1/2" midbass. Parking brake wouldn't allow for kick panel location. I wasn't wild about cutting a hole in my door panel to accommodate a 50oz magnet over 3" deep. So I made this enclosure that spans one end of the door pocket.   No holes cut and I can easily remove them for whatever reason. I had them mounted with some metal strapping for a week or so and aimed them around and decided on this angle. I missed a good chance to integrate the aluminum tweeter into the pod but was too far along to go back.
Enclosure pod -- posted image.
Bachsarte
mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2005 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  
Looks great but holy shhh is that a big ass magnet.
abovestock 
Copper - Posts: 247
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2005 at 3:21 AM / IP Logged  
looks awesome. But are you sure on a 50oz magnet, seems awfully large. By any chance have any pictures of the other construction, like to see them if you do.
bachsarte 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2005 at 6:33 AM / IP Logged  
I don't have any pics of ring support or fleecing but here's what I did and it worked pretty well. Took an enclosure cup for a 6 1/2" speaker then mounted a 1/2" thick plastic commercial spacing ring for 6 1/2" speakers on top of the cup. Then secured it on the door panel casting I made and fleeced and resined it. No MDF ring cutting and no dowels to glue in place. The glassed in spacer ring is easily substantial enough to screw the speaker into.
Here are some specs on the Bender 6 1/2". From what Patrick at Robot Underground tells me, he designs stuff and has it manufactured in China. (Not far from Diamond Audio's China plant.) After looking at specs and price I bought a pair and am very pleased with them.
They also bought a ton of equipment when A/D/S/T had their bankruptcy sale so I got a bunch of new Orion old school gems from him too. I'm about to finish that installation and will post pics in the next few days.
The Bender info:
Very aggressive in the mid bass area which is what sounds great up front.
Handle LOADS of power, (150wrms 300peak) in a ultra small enclosure.
Natural rolloffs at 100Hz on the low side and 3k on the high side.
Will also work in free air.
Honkin big and beefy 1.5" vc on an aluminum former for better heat dissapation.
Double vented both around the throat of the speaker as well as the pooper.
(We plan to use the pooper in a kit that will allow you to install the RU1 tweeter in the center for the best sounding point source speaker in the industry! More on that later)
Huge magnet structure as you can see for great cone control.. And just so you know, paper cones are both more expensive and better sounding than poly cones. Why do you think so many companies are going with poly cones!!??? To save a couple of pennies!!
Supple and durable rubber surrounds keep the speaker from flaking out on you after a couple of years in the heat or cold.
A strong steel basket keeps things lined up as well as keeping costs down. (We of course wanted a cast aluminum basket but would have had to pay for tooling.. $10k OUCH!)
We can also start off with a super 1yr warranty against defects with the savings we got by going with the steel basket. We did get SOME of the specs so far -
50oz magnet structure
Power RMS - 150w
Power Pk - 300w
Impedance - 4ohm
QTS - .57
SPL - 89db
Vas - .237 cu ft.
Fs - 48 Hz
XMax - 5.5mm
VC Dia. - 1.5" Aluminum
Overall Dia. - 6.61" / 168mm
Cutout - 5.67" / 144mm
Mount depth - 2.64" / 67mm
Overall depth - 3.07" / 78mm
It'll work great in a small box around .12 cu ft.
yielding a natural rolloff around 100hz so you can try it with and without a high pass crossover. We haven't experimented with it as a woofer yet, but we'll have fun doing it!
These sound AWESOME in a two way with the RU1 tweeter and the 336is.2 a/d/s crossovers we have.
Bachsarte
ChrisZ3 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2005 at 4:48 AM / IP Logged  
Great work. Did you pull yr door trim off or is it fabricated with the trim on? Where did you pass your speaker cable? Any holes drilled in the trim? I have a similar problem with my doors. I won't cut in my door trim panels. Iam looking to make something similar without ruining the doorpanel.
maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2005 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  
... i'd bring the wire up through that map cubby - the slot at the bottom of the door, where you SHOULD put maps and crap - not dead fast food wrappers.
lol. anyways, the front bottom corner of said map cubby would be an awesome place to bring the wire from... even though it would make a hole, the hole wouldn't be visible unless hte person got on their hands an knees and used amirror to look for it. lol
nicely done man. very clean.
~~Vinn

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic