icon

Sound dampening for SUV

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
JAydawg21 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2005 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  

I have never took the plunge and installed any sort of vibration deadening to any of my vehicles so I'm lookin for a little advise.  Mainly, Im trying to reduce vibrations in (i believe) the rear hatch (I own a '97 Jeep Cherokee).  I havent taken the time to go back there with bass thumpin and press on panels to narrow it down, but i have a feeling its the rear hatch metal and interior panel as well.   So:

What type of material do I want to start lookng for??

and Should I be appling it to just the metal surface (which is the only application i can find), or do I want to apply something to the plastic panals as well, or is there sumthing thick enough to sort of wedge between the panel and door that would help?

I've never really done this before so i just dont kn ow what works and what the common problem areas are in SUVs.  Anything you guys can give me at all would def. be helpful.

THANKS!

'97 Jeep Cherokee sport
subs: JL 12w3v2 : RF 500a2 :
RF 1F capacitor
doors: 6" Diamond D361i -> RF 200a4
xaudiopipex 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2005 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
dynamat is the best, i think i spelled it right...
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2005 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  

Bah! You may have spelled it right but you certainley can't be serious in saying that it is the best. There are plenty of products on the market that will do the exact same job for less money. Going to home depot and getting some roffing style insulation can very effetive will be a fraction of the cost of dynamat.

I use stinger road kill and it has yet to fall off unlike my previous applicaion of dynamat. Granted the road kill ain't cheap either but has so far impressed me more so than dyanamat.

I suggest you search here for more threads on dampening, some have great links to great products.

Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2005 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
Roofing material from home depot is such an odd option. But it is ghetto cheap. There is also B-Quiet that is of comparable quality. Like $225 for 100sq ft vs 36 sqft for dynamat at the similar price. Just shop around for different audio dampening materials.
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
Bigsingh 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2005 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
i use house roof flashing tape, uses the same materials, works a treat for me
6* Rockford T2's
6* POWER AMPs
BLACK CORRADO
BAANNGGIINN
ragoal12 
Copper - Posts: 135
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2005 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
there is the new hush mat out and everyone at the stereo shop here luvs it.. but its alil cheaper than dynamat but i like dynamat the best... in your rear hatch u may want to ass some expanda foam to stop rattles and keep some of that sound in.. it is very easy to do and it will help ur ride sound better
S.O.B custsoms.. South Omaha, Nebraska

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic