Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
action1978 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2005 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Sedate,

If I ran a Hifonics ZX1000 to the 12" sub,

and ran a Hifonics ZX4400 to the two 8's would that give me the adjustment I need??

Is this a better brand since RF seems to not be what it used to be? 

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2005 at 5:17 AM / IP Logged  
No no. Its not the amplifiers that are bad... well.. I'd go with something other than Rockford stuff, but that's just me. I mean, there isn't anything wrong with the amps, its the crossovers ON the amps. Very few amplifiers, in fact, none that I can think of off the top of my head, have built in crossovers capable of doing what you are trying to do. Save esoteric total system amplifiers like the DaVinciI can't think of anything that would do that straight from the amplifier... even the crazy crossovers on the JL Audio Slash amps aren't quite up to the task.
Looking at the Hifonics here I do not believe so... the amp lists a subsonic filter, but doesn't specify if it is variable or not, and I would imagine if it was, it would *definately* be delineated, given the rariety of that particular feature.
Tell ya what.. I actually do not offhand know of an off-the-shelf product that will do what you want. I keep thinking of AudioControl stuff and they have little modules that you have to interchange.. like take apart the thing and change around stuff on the circuit board itself... to change around the xover points that you would need.
Read this thread ... one of the most serious gear-heads on this board got me onto the whole bi-amping thing.. not precisely what you are trying to do, but the principle of running a very specific signal to your drivers is explained real well.
Now, *another* option open to you, and one that would probably be a heckuva lot cheaper, would be to design or purchase PASSIVE crossovers to filter your signal for your 8's. You could run a low pass at like 200hz off the amp, then run that to a passive outboard crossover that would cut it again below 60hz or so.
This would of course not be as elegant as a actively crossed system, but, it would be *much* easier.
Read about that here.
Post back with any questions.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic