icon

2003 Ford Escape 791xv Now Air Bag Light

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BChillin83 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2005 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  

I installed this about a month ago and there didnt appear to be any problems. No error codes, check engine light, air bag lights, none what so ever. Now i noticed the air bag light is on...any clue whats causing this?

any idea what this is and how can fix this???

iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2005 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
It means there is a problem with the airbag system and it needs to be diagnosed on the computer at the dealer. While the light is on your airbags will not deploy in an accident. The dealer will need to reset the computer after they have figured out what caused it to light up. They may charge you if they feel you caused it while you were under the dash installing the remote starter. It doesn't matter how long after you installed it that it came on. So your best bet would be to not mention the fact that you recently installed one. If they get in there and then ask you about it, say you had it professionally installed a few years ago.
BChillin83 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2005 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
you think if i disconnect the battery for 10 or 15 minutes it may reset itself? Thank god its not a customers and happens to be my best buddys.......ill go back under the dash and recheck all the connections
iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2005 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
Unfortunately, no. I don't think that will work. You can always try it though. When that happened on my own Hyundai, doing that did not work. I removed the instrument cluster so that I could mount my Viper 790XV brain up high and out of reach. When I put it back in the the airbag light was on and stayed on indefinately. Because the airbag indicator within the instrument cluster sensed a break in the circuit when I removed the cluster. I spoke with a service technician who is a friend of mine that works for the dealer. He told me that I would not be able to reset it. Once a problem is detected in the system it can only be reset by the dealer. I did try removing the battery overnight anyway and it didn't fix anything.
Watersurgeon 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2005 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  
Find a AutoZone parts store near you. They provide free use of a OBDII scanner. Just give them your license, and you can do it in the parking lot, or give them a credit card and you can take it home. Read the codes and write them down. Then you can clear them out of the system with the reader.
If it looks like a persistent problem go to this web sight, join it, and post your guestions there along with the codes.
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX?ed_displayMakeModelRelatedDiscussions@380.g6J0d3rsNKe.0@.ef14c39!make=Ford&model=Escape
BChillin83 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2005 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  

thats a bad *** idea. thanks watersurgeon.

i was going to check it out this weekend, but never got to it. I installed an amp and sub for my neighbor.

ill have to try that out though, thanx

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic