icon

Baltic Birch?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2005 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
i gotta agree with auex.  seems kinda pointless worrying about weight when u have 75 lbs of equiptment , even though u will possibly feel the extra weight of the box, the hope for lightweight is negated by your equipt.  i would just worry about it sounding good and having the box reinforced properly, even if it is out of lightweight material (the baltic birch is still a good idea though)  but dont cheap out on the box as its what makes the sub sound good.  U are joking about gluing amps i hope
lakers08 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2005 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
Glad you won't comment auex, because you apparently missed the sarcastic tone of my remark. I appreciate the informative value of your feedback, however (hey, that's sarcasm too!).
My point in using an effective alternative to MDF is to reduce weight where possible. I'm not looking for "lightweight". I don't race my car. I'm not concerned with taking corners at 80 mph or removing my back seats so I can do the 1/4 mile in less than 16 seconds (sarcasm). That being said, I purchased my equipment with an emphasis placed on quality, well-regarded components and equipment. For example, I wouldn't choose a Pyramid amp over my JL because it is 6.8 lbs lighter.
By using Baltic Birch over MDF, I can have significant savings in total weight and still have a well-made enclosure. It's apparently a good alternative and will be properly braced and constructed. Thanks to constructive feedback by other members, I can ensure it's done the right way.
Don't feel obliged to reply to this post unless you can offer something of value. To the others, thank you.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic