icon

infinity kappa perfect 10 DVQ

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
elbee12 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2005 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  

I'm Making  2  seperate  fiberglass sealed enclosure's for pair of kappa 10 DVQ's. They were made to  +/-  .33 cu ft.  with sub installed, infinity suggests .30 per sub and sound deadning material . So I was wondering a few  things.

1.   Is the suggested  .3 cu ft . before or after displacement?

2.  Does it matter if one enclosure differs by 5-10 peanuts?  (peanuts used for volume measurement)

3.  Does it matter if I'm over the interior volume by .03 ?

4a.  Would adding fill cause a problem, if i'm already over the reqiured volume?

b.  If not ...   How much should i add?

Has anyone had one of these in a .3 cu ft enclosure and how did it sound for such a tiny enclosure

I thank you all !!

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 28, 2005 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  

Use poly-fil in those enclosures.  The specs are given as such to allow this sub to be used in a tight situation.  A larger enclosure will not do harm, just keep both enclosures as near to the same cu. inches as possible.  Power requirements will be increased when using such a tiny air volume, so keep that in mind...and build the enclosures with great wall strength, esp. the face.

The volume given by the manufacturer is net (not allowing for displacements) UNLESS specifically stated that it includes the driver displacement.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
elbee12 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2005 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  

thank you

with the poly-fil is it better to line the walls or to just surround the speaker basket and magnet

how much should i use  for a 3.4 cu ft enclosure

Ocuriel 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2005 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
they sound like garbage in small boxes. u will need to go much bigger. go with .75 after displacement with the mid q insert & some polly fill.
elbee12 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2005 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

Do they really sound like garbage?  enclosures are already made with fiberglass it would suck bad if i dont like how they sound in a .35 cu ft with the low insert

Ocuriel 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2005 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
Well, if the box is made already then try them out before you paint or cover the box. my personal experience was the vq (single coil) did not sound good in a small box.    the output was just not there & they did not get low enough for my taste. I beleive the box was .6 before displacement. i experimented with all the inserts & didn't like the sound. i have heard them before in a much bigger box & they sounded great. not sure what air space the guy had them in. overall you have some very good subs though.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic