icon

Sub comparisons

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
allmet33 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2005 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  

I have a buddy that's looking to put a single 12" sub in his truck.  He asked me to find him something that would handle some power and not cost an outrageous amount of money.  He's definitely interested in the Kenwood KAC-9152D mono amp capable of 900 watts x 1 @ 1-2 ohms.

I've come across two that I want to present to him, but before I do...I wanted some feedback from others in the industry.  I've listed the subs down below and my questions are...

Is either worth looking at? 

Is either one geared more towards SQ or SPL? 

Can you think of any other subs that would give you this much power handling for the money?

Hifonics Atlas AS12SQ (900 watts / dual 2 ohm voice coils)...$150

or the Soundstream T4-12 (900 watts / dual 1 ohm voice coils)...$165

'06 Hyundai Azera - Pioneer FH-P4200MP / Factory center channel & tweeters / Infinity Kappa 62.7i's; all 4 doors, 2 Phoenix Gold Xenon 10D2 10" subs pushed w/Phoenix Gold Xenon 600.1 amp
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2005 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
Please don't cut and paste huge images off the Internet.  Thanks.
Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 28, 2005 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
Your buddy just needs to get around some of the dealers and listen to some sub setups.  You'll both learn from that kind of experience, as you'll get a feel for the different brands available.  It's not all about "max" watts per dollar.  And when you run across a dealer who has a setup that sounds good to you and shows an interest, give him your business.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
JAydawg21 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2005 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
I agree, definatly check out local shops.  Talk to as many guys as possible and buy from someone who you can tell knows there *** from a hole in the wall.   Also, ussually when it comes to budget systems  LOW COST + HIGH WATTAGE = CRAPPPPY GEAR 
'97 Jeep Cherokee sport
subs: JL 12w3v2 : RF 500a2 :
RF 1F capacitor
doors: 6" Diamond D361i -> RF 200a4
allmet33 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2005 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  

Well...as I stated in a message to the last guy.  The shops around here only carry the "hot" brands so Hifonics and Soundstream are not available.  Personally...I know Soundstream to have been one of the premium companies in the mobile audio arena.  Based on some things I've seen on sites like cardomain.com...Hifonics has some pretty good stuff too.  My question really is geared towards anyone that has had any experience with either brand and could give me some input.

Low cost and high wattage doesn't = crappy gear at all.  I've got a Phoenix Gold Xenon 10" sub (450 watts) and a Kewood amp (460 watts x 1 @ 4 ohms) pushing it and I only paid $300 for that set up.  I previously had a sub by SPL (500 watts) and an amp by Boss Audio (400 x 1 @ 2 ohms) and it sounded pretty decent, and I only paid about $150 for that.  It just lacked the power that I have now.  However...someone bought that stuff from me and I installed in his 3000 GT and it sounds much better than it did in my sedan!

You can make most stuff sound better than decent if it's hooked up right and you keep it within it's capabilities.  I've heard Pyle subs sound better than RF subs before, but that was because the person that had the RF subs had em set up wrong.

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2005 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Crap is in the eyes and ears of the beholder. One mans trash is another mans..............you know.
Big Dave
rottenbelly 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2005 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
make sure ur speaker isnt to deep for a behind the seat box unless u want to sit on steering wheel
rottenbellys 05 crew cab colorado.Pioneer dehp 880prs, kenwood excelon in all 4 doors. Bazooka 500 mono Jl 10w3 in coustom center console box.
rottenbelly 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2005 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
p.s  that is if its a regular cab
rottenbellys 05 crew cab colorado.Pioneer dehp 880prs, kenwood excelon in all 4 doors. Bazooka 500 mono Jl 10w3 in coustom center console box.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic