icon

led

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Brownboy 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2005 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry for messing up that other thread.  This one I'll be more careful with. 

I'm trying to install a few of those hyper bright LEDs under my dashboard, I just have a few questions...

• Is there a wire under my dashboard (above the pedals) with electrical current that I can use for the LEDs?
  • If not, where do I get my power supply for the lights?
  • I understand I'll need a resistor somewhere, can someone tell me where to put it on this image? https://img184.imageshack.us/img184/9690/leds9ki.jpg
  • I'll need to ground the LEDs, how do I go about doing this?

Thank You for reading

nowlater123 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2005 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  

I dont know what wires to tap into, but i can suggest that you tap into your fusebox, or run a wire to the battery through the firewall.

Seeing as how the LED's are a special type, they may already have the correct resistor already in the connections; however,if the LED's don't already have resistors, then you should try this site:

http://www.metku.net/index.html?sect=view&n=1&path=mods/ledcalc/index_eng

To ground them, all you have to do is attach them to a bare peice of metal that is connected to the body, or frame of the car.For a switch, just put it in the power wire to the LED's.

Kenwood all the Way!
customcarchris 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2005 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
Did you not get my email I sent?
If you are using LEDs like listed in the picture, then they will already be set up for 12 volt. The piece that is in the blue is the resistor. If you just buy any old LED off of ebay or whatnot then you need a resistor.
Either ground each individual LED to the chassis or if the LEDs are close enough, you can run a wire to all negative legs of the LEDs and just ground the wire, this would save having to find a ground point for each LED and you'll be running wire for the power anyway.
Brownboy 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2005 at 2:40 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I got your e-mail.  I found that picture on the internet, it's not those LEDs I baught...I'm buying LEDs tomorrow(July 31).  I'll let you know if they have seperate built-in resistors or not.  I may have some questions/wiring problems...we'll see.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic