icon

Fuse Question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dnt408 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2005 at 3:19 AM / IP Logged  
Okay I understand that its usally a good idea to fuse anytime we split a power source... but what about my door lock? Thet are negative tigger. Do I need to fuse that too? thanks
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2005 at 3:46 AM / IP Logged  
What exactly are you splitting on the door lock?
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2005 at 4:34 AM / IP Logged  

if you are powering a central locking kit  with brain and the brain has a (+) and (-)  powering it then you tap into the Ign harness for the power  Fuse that power connection.

if from what i am reading.  you are tapping into the neg triggers of you central locking system with an alarm or button to operate the locking then No you wouldn't use a fuse.

When we say fuse everything. it would be.  if you are powering something up.

e.g.  window module is powered by a constant 12V  that would be fused.  if you added lights to you car they should be fused.

anything that you give power to should be fused if not and something went wrong electically. there would be no fault tolerance. A potentially damaged of faulty unit would still get power and there would be a risk of fire.

i'm only up so if this doesn't make any sense i'm sorry
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2005 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
Putting a fuse on the positive side is a must. It is not necessary for the negative side. What make, year and model is the vehicle?
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Fuse Question - Last Post -- posted image.
dnt408 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2005 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry about the confusion.   I was making a statement in the begining...  The second part was a question.  Anyways  I was going to install a viper 791 into a 2002 Rav4.  From reading the diagram the door locks are negative trigger and I could just tap directling into it and I wanted to make sure that I didn't need a fuse.  Hey would I need to fuse the sensor too?  The one that comes with it doens't but I plan to add a proxy too... will I need to fuse that?  thanks
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2005 at 2:11 AM / IP Logged  
If the 791 uses a 3-pin plug in for the doorlock relay, you should be able to just use the wires that plug in there for your lock and unlock, and not even worry about the 451M. As far as the sensors, there's no need for a fuse unless you're using external power and ground sources for them.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2005 at 4:21 AM / IP Logged  
but if your tapping inot an existing sensoe use diodes

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic