icon

Focal Utopia vs Quart QSD

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2005 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  

thinking about upgrading the front speakers, have auditioned the top end Focals and love them.  I'm also considering the top-end Quarts, but cannot find anyone with them on a soundboard.  So I'm looking for qualified opinions from people with an ear for SQ who have heard both & can compare/contrast for me.  We're talking about the 6.5" components going into a '05 Subaru Outback.

Please, let's not turn this into a personal forum about brand loyalty as that won't help with the decision.  Thanks!

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2005 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
I am leery of the tweeter on the quarts. It tends to very bright, however that mid range is wonderful. My Rainbows are very similar to the quarts, and I wound up switching out the hard dome tweeter for a soft dome one.
I wish I had experience with the Focals. I would imagine the Focals are soft dome?
Quart is in the midst of changing, I am not sure of the details but Fosgate has something to do with it.
Grkinstall 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2005 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
focal and mb quart authoized dealer here and are you comparing to the new utopia that are $3900, they win, and even if last years you still are better with the focals you just cant compare but the amp make a big difference
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2005 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
Being a Focal authorized dealer, you should be aware that the Utopia 165w isn't $3900. It is comparable to the Q's. You are referring to the Utopia BE set with active x-overs, not passive.
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2005 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  

dwarren wrote:
Being a Focal authorized dealer, you should be aware that the Utopia 165w isn't $3900. It is comparable to the Q's. You are referring to the Utopia BE set with active x-overs, not passive.

Yeah, what he said.  No way I'm spending $4k on a set of car speakers, but might do $600-1000.  These were the 165W Utopias.  Any more input?

Grkinstall 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2005 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  

he never mentioned a model number now did he

dwarren 
Posted: July 30, 2005 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
how about some logic? comparing Quart Q series to a set of $3900 components?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic