icon

Fiberglass Bumper

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Surart 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2005 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys. Ive been reading all the topics on fiberglass for the past week and didnt really find anything about making bumpers from scratch. Anyone knows any sites if you could give me any info at all  about making the molds and then actually fitting them onto the car??? Any help would be great.
stuntjester1 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2005 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

it probly just be the same as making a dash i guess. probly just start with the stock bumper and build of it. using foam to make the shape you want. Never seen anything onliine about making fiberglass bumpers just raw metal ones.

Surart 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
You know I dont want it be a part of my old bumper cuz you know my design is gonna look different thats why i wanna make it from scratch.
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  

You're going to have to keep it similar to a degree, as how it is mounted to the car kinda limits how much you can change. And if you don't drastically know how to begin this project, I'm going out here, but I'm guessing you don't know how to safely modify re-attachment parts of the bumper. If you are wanting to try and rework a part of the design, then I guess make a mold of the inside of the bumper like you would in any other FG project and pop it out and work out from there, if you destroy it, you still have a stock replacement to go right back on.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
blufab 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
To go along with Master Asylum said you could make a mold of your bumper. To start off you could attach styrofoam boards to the bottom of the bumper to give it a greater width. Then you would mask off the whole bumper including styrofoam this give you a greater canvas to work from in the end. Then you would glass the whole piece, dont forget to use plenty of mold release. After you have put enough layers on and have removed the mold you can sand it to a basic shape.  Finally, draw your design out on your mold for reference to start carving.
Surart 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2005 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
I got your point, although Ive seen the re-attachment parts, and believe me its not that hard to make it on pretty much any kind of surface. Ill post the pix some time later, so i dont think its gonna be to hard to make them.thanx anyways.
blufab 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  

I dug up this link outta of my favoriites it might help you out.

http://www.geocities.com/silverkit98/BodyKit1.html

05honda 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
thats a great site and you cant get the foam from wal mart or a floral design store.....pretty easy to cut and shape....go crazy.....
Surart 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, I saw that site long time ago. :) even before actually thinking to tune-up my car.thanx anyways though.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic