icon

Ohms wiring question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Tegpilot 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2005 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  

Ok kinda a stupid question I think.  I orded a pair of the new kappa 50.7cs components and they are 2 ohms and my old kappa 50.5cs are 4 ohms.  Here are my amp specs.  My question is I know I will get 60 watts into 2 ohms it says, but what if I want to bridge them.  This says "bridged into 4 ohms" gets 120 watts.  But if the speaker is 2 ohms does this  matter, will it be just 120, or will it be   higher, or maybe even lower????  Am I even allowed to bridge it with the speaker being 2 ohms or will it harm the amp??  And one more, does "stereo" just mean that you are pulling signal from two different channels "bridgeing" or is this wrong."   I know it's newbie.  Thanks for the help guys!

Tegpilot 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2005 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  

sorry didn't past Amp specs:  Here they are

MRV-F357

Per channel into 4 ohms (CH-1 – CH-4) ..... 50W, 0.08% THD

Per channel into 2 ohms (CH-1 – CH-4) ...... 60W, 0.3% THD

Bridged into 4 ohms (CH-1 – CH-4) .......... 120W, 0.3% THD

4 ohms (CH-5) ......................................... 150W, 0.3% THD

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2005 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
The only stuped question is the one you don't ask. I would not bridge that amp into 2ohms I'm sure it will not take the load. How about using the other 2 channels with 2 more kappas?
Big Dave
Tegpilot 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2005 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  

So if i bridge the amp to a 2 ohm speaker that means that the load at the amp is 2 ohms as well???  Well, i have a pair of kappa 6x9 on the rear deck, but I'm getting another amp to run them and the my 10" kappa DVC.  I wanted to use the MRV-F357 alpine to run the two door components "bridged" in order to get the power I need from it, and use the sub channel to run A nice mid-bass 8" in a fiberglass enclosure in the middle of the floor board in the back seat.  I still haven't made this said enclosure, but I plan on it in the next few days.  I am not happy with the mid level inside the car.  I screwed up "or didn't know any better"  when I bought the first kappas 5 1/4 instead of 6 1/2's. So the new ones I just got are exhanged on warranty but they didn't have the old model anymore, but they are still 5 1/4.  Speaking of which, any ideas on getting more mid range out of them.  Enclosure inside the door  or something???? Here are some pics of my trunk.    Ohms wiring question -- posted image.Ohms wiring question -- posted image.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
No, if you bridge into a 2 ohm load, the amp is effectively running at one ohm per channel. This will fry most amps, and I wouldn't try it...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Tegpilot 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
Ok i see now, thanks that makes sense.  So the max power I can get to these new speakers is 60 watts rms.  According to the specs right?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic