icon

highs are too high

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nyguy4u 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2005 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  

I have somewhat of an unusual question that I can't seem to find the answer too.

I have a 01' PT Cruiser, I have somewhat of a complex system, by my problem relates to my front and rear speakers.

I have Infinity Kappa's in the back, and an Infinity component set in the front. All 4 are being powered by a JL Audio 300/1, and before the pre-out hits the Amp, it runs through a Audio Control Line Driver. I like somewhat moderate highs, so on my deck I usually keep the high at around -1 or so, and the mids at -7.

I am driving today, and out of nowhere, my highs for whatever reason seemed to get louder. I look at my deck, and the highs are still set on -1, and if I try to turn the highs down, they reduce in volume, but even with the highs at the lowest setting, the highs are still loud. If you go to turn the highs up, they get so high that it's unbelievable. It happens with the back pairs of speakers as well, not just the front. I looked at the my amp, and Audio Control Line Driver, and nothing is abnormal with that. The mids seem to have the same problem as the highs too.

Has anyone had this problem before? What should I do?

outlaw000 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  
try lowering the high pass filter on you amp or try lowering the highs from your equalizer if that doesnt help its probably one of the settings on your headunit
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 4:18 AM / IP Logged  
It means that something suddenly isn't working right.  Start the isolation process and begin by taking the line driver out of the line-up.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 4:24 AM / IP Logged  
your running your full range speakers thru a mono amp? JL300/1?
Big Dave
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 6:34 AM / IP Logged  
I caught that as well.... what goes there? Do the crossovers have a built in attenuation circuit?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
nyguy4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
I'm sorry, I meant a 300/4. My bad :)
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds to me like you have an amplifier or pre-amplifier going into thermal overload, or a crossover is failing.  Definately remove the line driver from the signal path first - and re-set the amplifier gain to the HU output.  Also you don't mention what your HU is, but if it happens to be JVC or Aiwa (or any of the lower-end brands) I would suspect it has failed and is causing the problem.  Is it just your front mains showing the symptom or the rear speakers as well?  If it's one set only, after you remove the line driver try swapping RCA cables front and rear.  If the problem moves with the cables, your HU is the likely culprit.  If it does not move, it could be your amp or your component set crossovers.
Support the12volt.com
nyguy4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the responses so far guys.

DYohn, my headunit is a Kenwood KDC-MP925, so it's definately not lower end. All of my equipment is less then 2 years old too.

It's not just the fronts though, it's the rears as well. But, it's not only limited to the highs. The mids seemed to sound different as well. Now when I adjust the mids, they get adjusted a little bit, but there isn't a huge range of adjustments that are able to be made.

It can't be a setting, I wouldn't assume so anyways - being my components have been set the way I like it for the past year, and never get touched.

So being my rears have the same problem, what should I do to pinpoint my problem?

Thanks!

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
Assuming your signal path is HU - Line driver - amp, it has to be one of these three.  It could be that the amp simply cannot handle the high voltage output from the line driver.  As we've been suggesting, reomve the line driver first.  If the problem continues, you have eliminated that.  Next try a different amplifier if you can or take your amp in to a dealer and pay the $40 to get it tested.  If the amp is OK, then it has to be the HU.   But it definately sounds heat related to me and that an amplifier component is being overdriven.
Support the12volt.com
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 01, 2005 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  

Where do your speaker outputs from the amp run?  If the speakers are tagged behind the deck and you have a factory amplified system, it's possible you blew the factory amp.  I've seen this happen before, and give similar results to what you describe, because the speakers cease producing any low frequencies.  Sometimes people will unknowingly feed their aftermarket amp outputs into the factory amplifier, and wonder why it sounds like garbage.

I'm not saying you did this, but if you had it done by an amateur shop, it's definitely worth checking out.  Everything posted above looks like solid advice as well.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic