icon

improve sound system, please advice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hvaughn 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
I'm new to the forum, been reading it for a while now. I need some advice. I have a '99 Dakota R/T Club Cab. I know this will be long, but please bear with me.
My current system is:
Alpine CDA-9813 Head Unit
Memphis 16-ST500D Amplifier
MTX Subwoofer Box w/ 2 Memphis 10-inch Subwoofers
Memphis 6.5-inch/tweeter Components (front doors)
JL Audio 6.5-inch Coaxials (rear panels of CC)
I would like to improve the sound a little. I really don't want to redo the whole thing (unless necessary) just want make it sound better. I was thinking of removing the back seat and replacing the 10's with 12's, but would rather keep the back seat if possible. Kinda like the stealth look... I know that I definitely need to get an amp on my mids and highs and am thinking that this will improve the sound. Anyways, any suggestions on the type of amp?? Kinda looking for a 50 x 4, or maybe a good two channel (running the fronts off of one and the rears off of the other). I don't have much room either. Have the sub's amp mounted behind the driver's seat and a dvd player mounted just under the back of the passenger seat.
I also don't like my front staging, but my only option is to get some q-logic kick panels and then I would loose my 6 1/2's up front. I think it would be better to keep them up front if possible. Right now they are mounted in the stock locations for the infinity system. Can you all give me some ideas on what I can do to improve the sound????
Oh yeah, planning on getting some fatmat and doing as much of the interior as possible. Hoping this will help a little. Every little bit counts....
Thanks in advance,
Heath
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  
I think changing the subs would be a waste, unless it's a drastic upgrade.
Amping the interior speakers is going to make the biggest differene in your situation. You may end up liking those comps up front. With a little more power from a separate amp it make a world of difference. But the key to the new amp is tuning it properly so that you match levels and utilize the amp to its fullest.
Sound deadening will make a difference as well. Especially in the doors. Try to cover all the bare metal surfaces on the door skin and frame area.
hvaughn 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
One more thing that I forgot to mention. This might help.
I would like to be able to play some eagles, etc and have my friends say ...man that is clean and sounds awesome, and then turn around a throw in a bass cd, and really impress them (with what I have, of course). You can only expect so much with certain systems, not like I have four 12's...
I don't know if this is possible with my current set up (10's under the rear seat).
hvaughn 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
dwarren,
How would I go about tuning the new amp properly???
I may need to do this to my subs amp too. B/C right now
I have the gain up all the way and the bass on the remote all the way up. Don't know if the way the sub amp is set now is hurting me or helping me. It doesn't seem to be distorting, clipping, or anything like that.
Any suggestions on a good amp for the mids/highs?
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
By tuning I mean taking time after all the install end of business is done and setting the gain properly, listening to it and making the proper adjustments to any filters that are on.
Ooh, that sounds like a bad means of setting the amp up. First off, any added boosts on amps or heads like "bass boost" or whatever are killers of speakers, leave them off for the most part or very, very low. They send amps into clipping bofore you know it.
I suggest you do a brief search here on the site in order to save some typing, search for "setting gains." There will plenty of info there.
So many good 4 channel amps, whats the price range?
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  

Definitely agree on a front amp at the least.  4x50 is a good way to go, it'll add tremendously to the quality of the sound you're getting, but won't blow your doors off with a big jump in volume.  If you wanted to scrimp, you could get by with a 2x50 to the front doors & the HU powering the rear coax's, especially if that head unit allows you to bridge the outputs.

the fatmat will make a good improvement to your midbass not to mention drown out some rd noise.  Well worth it.  If you wanted even more midbass power go with 75-100wpc - those speakers can handle it if you set it up right.  But first I'd recommend tweaking that sub - you're running 250w each, no?  You should be getting a lot of output in that cab, if you're not then you definitely have some tweaking to do.

Incidently, I have a good bit of Fatmat left over (about 80 ft) if you're interested.

hvaughn 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
I know this sounds stupid but I'm not sure how the subs are wired...forgive me. I think they are wired is series. Shop wired it up. The amp is bridged, this I do know. The thunderform box only has one speaker terminal sending wires to the amp. I'm not sure what's going on inside of the box.
Will have to get in there and find out.
As for the amp, trying to spend as little as possible.
But don't want to buy any crap. I want an amp that is clean and will give my mids/highs a rich sound. 200-400 bucks I guess.
hvaughn 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
oops...forgot. As for the amp....I need it to be as small as possible, unless I decide to take out the rear seat. Trying not to do that, though. My mounting locations are running out.....
dwarren 
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
there was a thread here that dealt with similar issues. here
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
If they're wired in series that's easy fix number one - in that setup they're only seeing 125w each.  Put them in Parallel for much much more output, assuming your subs can handle 400w+ each.  Then promptly turn the gains waaay down.  sounds like your space resources dictate a 2x50 or so.  You can probably find a spot for it back there.  You'll get the sound you want from the front, keep some decent rear fill & the subs should have buckets more output.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic