icon

Bass Boost, Gain = Bad Sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
2005Mazda6 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  

Let me start by saying that I'm trying to create a system and sound that I'm happy with, not one that has to rattle windows or that you can hear a block away.

I'm running a factory Bose 7-speaker system with a Bazooka BA1500 amp (500W x 1) into two 10" Orion XTR Series 2 subs, which are rated at 500 W RMS and 4 ohms.

When I first installed my amp on Friday, I turned the crossover all the way down to the lowest frequency and then adjusted the gain and Bass Boost until it sounded how I wanted it to.

After reading a bunch of the posts here on setting the gain, crossover (which is built into the amp) and Bass Boost, I went about adjusting my system.  I found that I can turn the radio up to 29 on the volume scale without distortion.  I turned the crossover up to 60 Hz, then turned the Bass Boost up to about 3 dB.  I then turned up the gain until I thought I heard distortion on the speakers, this ended up being a little less than halfway up.

Since setting my system, I'm very unhappy with the way the bass sounds, it's almost non-existent.  I turned the crossover over back down, almost all the way, and it helped a little.  I then turned the gain back up a bit, which also helped a little, but I can't get the bass I want unless I turn the Bass Boost up, almost to it's max setting of 12 dB.  When I did this, I realized that I would never want to turn the system up above 21 or 22 on the volume scale.

So, I understand that setting up a system is all about my taste and what I like, but I'm afraid of blowing my new amp.  I don't think I can hurt the head unit with my setup (can I?), and the subs, which still sound great, are old and I won't be upset if I have to replace them.

I guess my question is, am I likely to hurt my amp with my setup?  Am I doing something wrong when trying to set everything?

jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
You are more likely to blow your subs then hurt your amp with not having your levels set correctly on your amp. What type of box are you subs in? What head unit do you have and make sure you dont have crossovers and bass boost and EQ settings at higher levels if you have them on your head unit.
Jazzy
2005Mazda6 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
Head unit is factory Bose radio.  It is built into the dash, I can't really replace it.  It has the standard Fade, Balance, Treble and Bass controls but that's it.
jstruckman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
you have the factory head unit, so are you using an LOC to get a RCA level signal into the aftermarket amplifier? If so which one are you using?
If you are going speaker level into the amp, then i suggest using an LOC.
What speaker wires did you tap for a signal? Remember pretty much all factory amplified systems are crossed over, especially BOSE.
Jazzy
2005Mazda6 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
That's a heck of a good question, I had the amp wires installed so I actually have no idea what speaker wires they tapped.  And yes, I am using an LOC.  The LOC I'm using was the only one I could find in my area, I think the brand is Premier or Pyramid - it was like $12 at the local audio store.
jstruckman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
Well i would recommend using a good LOC such as a Navone or a SoundGate piece. You could be tapped into speaker wires that are crossed over in some way or another. Alot of times the rear speaker are band passed crossed over, meaning they have high and low frequencies cut from them. Most of the time the front speaker will not be low passed. If you had or have a factory subwoofer, then of course that would be the best place to get you signal. Our company right now is actually doing tests on the more popular LOC's out there and you would not beleive the amount THD that some of them put out, up into the 30 and 40 percent range! Ouch!!
Jazzy
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
The bose system has a built in "EQ" and the main speakers (the front and rear tweeters and woofers) are probobly highpassed. I would try to find the speaker wire that goes to the factory subwoofer, if you have one, and tap your LOC into that instead.
2005Mazda6 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  

It doesn't have a factory subwoofer - there are speakers in all 4 doors, either 2 in the dash or two more in the front door (I don't remember which) and one 8" round speaker in the back window.  In looking at the owner's manual, the factory sub sits on the spare tire in the trunk when equipped.

Any other suggestions?

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
The 8" round speaker probobly handles the low frequency dutys of the system. Try tapping your LOC into the speaker leads going to it.
2005Mazda6 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  

Okay, I just got some "specs" (I use that term very loosely) from Bose.  This is what it says:

2 - 3.6 cm tweeters mounted in the mirror garnish

2 - 16.5 cm wide range speakers in front doors

2 - 13 cm full range speakers in rear doors

1 - 22.8 cm woofer and two-state modulation amplifier with custom equalization

Bose Series 2000 Amplifier with custom equilization mounted under passenger seat

Now, having this information - should I still tie the LOC into the wires going to the woofer in the window?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic