the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2nd amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  

That combo won't work.  The sub is DVC 4 ohm, not DVC 2 ohm which is implied in that ad (see http://www.cerwinvega.com/products/mobileaudio/index.html).  You need a SVC 4 ohm for a two channel amp.  The amp will take a 4 ohm load bridged.  I would suggest, however, that you look for a 12" instead of a 10".  And yes, sensitivity is what I meant.

And always double-check manufacturer's sites for specs when shopping online ads.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart - Just out of curiousity, if he hooked one channel to each voice coil, what kind of load would the amp see?
lazyinjin 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
If each voice coil is 4ohms, and each were wired to a stereo amplifier separately, the amplifier will see a 4ohm load on the left and right channels seperately.
lazyinjin 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
To the original poster: try finding a 12" with Dual 4Ohm voice coils and wire them in parallel to a mono amplifier.   This will produce a 2ohm load, which most subwoofer(mono) amplifiers will handle. and defintely get a class D mono amp in the 300Watt RMS range. IMHO more money should be spent on the amplifier than the woofer or enclosure combined(thats not to say buy a wal-mart subwoofer and crown amp)
Steelcity 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  

Ok I think I will be going with this combination.  Let me know your thoughts especially on the sub.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Productid=12353

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Productid=13790

stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  

boardinbum wrote:
stevdart - Just out of curiousity, if he hooked one channel to each voice coil, what kind of load would the amp see?

It would be the amp rating of 115 watts X 2 at 4 ohms.  It would be a stereo sub, I  guess.  ;)

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
stevdart 
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  

Steelcity wrote:
 Let me know your thoughts especially on the sub.

That is one goofy-looking speaker if I ever saw one.  But I can't say I've listened to any Kenwood subs lately.  Can't you find another Cerwin Vega?  I know from experience that they are worth the money spent.

2nd amp - Page 2 -- posted image.

My $49 CW rocks!

Steelcity 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
There were a ton of good reviews of it on onlinecarstereo.com.  It has a 93db rating and will goto 400 watt rms, which is probably a little more than I need.   And your right its unique looking.
Steelcity 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  

here is the reason for the googy look?

• Overlapping ribs on cone surface for improved rigidity and dampened resonance
  • sounds good to me?

Steelcity 
    Copper spacespace
    Posted: August 04, 2005 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
    Stevdart is that the hed 12 (svc or dvc)  if so what are you powering it with and how many watts?
    Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic