icon

Component crossovers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steelcity 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
Can anyone explain how hu high and low pass filters work in conjuntion with external crossovers? The crossovers that are on the component set only has tweeter adjustments.  How do they work together or does one override the other?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
The passive crossover that comes with a component set is designed to split a full-range signal to send the proper frequency bands to the woofer and tweeter (and mid in a 3-way system.)  The active high-pass or low-pass (or band-pass) crossovers in a HU or built into an amp or that are part of an electronic crossover are designed to limit either the high or the low signals (or both) from ever reaching the speakers.  They should be used together for a component set in this way: connect the tweeter and woofer to the crossover and mount them and connect the crossover input to the amplifier or HU.  Activate the high-pass (HP) electronic crossover in the HU or amp and set it to the same frequency you have your subwoofer low-pass (LP) set to, usually somewhere between 75Hz and 100Hz.  This will limit low bass signals to the component set but pass the rest of the signal, and then the passive crossover will do its job to split the signal and protect the tweeter from low frequencies.  If you are not using a subwoofer, turn OFF the HU or amp crossover and run a full-range signal to the component set.  If you do this, beware that excessive volume may bottom out the woofer and cause speaker damage.  The tweeter attenuation settings on some passive crossovers simply allow you to control the strength of the tweeter output in relation to the woofer, so you can adjust for placement issues in your vehicle.
Support the12volt.com
Steelcity 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
I just discovered the hu setting today.  I do have them wired the way you indicated and hooked to the amp.  I am bottoming out bass at higher levels so I am going to add a sub to my system.  I assume when I add the sub that all of the bass will be directed to the sub while the mids will come from the 6.5's and the highs will come from the tweeter.  If that is correct I should gain a little more volume correct?  The comps are handling the highs great almost ear piercing at times.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  

You should actually go ahead and activate the high-pass filter to protect your components before you add a sub.  Try setting it at 80Hz or so and see if they stop bottoming out.  You aren't getting that bass anyway if the speakers are reaching their limits, and you will eventually fry those woofers if they keep doing that.

Cheers!

Support the12volt.com
Steelcity 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
ok will do.  What about the slope? and Dta setting?  What should those be set at.  And then not to complicate this but how does adjusting the equilizer effect these settings?
DYohn 
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  

What HU do you have?

Slope shuld be at least 12db/octave.  I am not sure what "Dta" means.  EQ settings have nothing to do with crossovers, that is a different function and the two do not affect each other.

Support the12volt.com
Steelcity 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  

kenwood Mp828.  It has a tremendous amount of features and menus.  Probably not the deck for a novice.  The insturction manual states dta as Digital Time Alignment.  Sound ouput timing of each channel?

The slope settings are -12 or -18.  The high pass settings are:  Through, 40/60/80/100/120/150/180/220

Now band 1 of my eq is 60/80/100/120/160/200  is this the low end bass freq?  And since I am not sending 60 or 80 to the speakers then obviously I should have this set higher than that?

DYohn 
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
That looks like an extremely complex HU and no, not one that would be easy for a novice to set up.  The problem with all that flexibility is if you don't know how to use it, you can do much more harm than good.  I've never seen one, but judging from this discussion and a quick look on the web, I suggest you set your high-pass crossover to 12db, 80Hz.  Set the Digital Time Alingmnet to zero on all channels.  Set the EQ to all flat.  This head has a 4-band parametric EQ which is very nice - if you need it.  I suggest you set your crossover and then experiment with some of the DSP presets in the EQ and see if any of them create a sound you like.  Otherwise, leave it flat and leave it alone until you have a chance to read, read, read the owners manual and do a lot of research on the web about how to use parametric equalizers.  But hey, the worst you can do is create crappy sound so mess around with it and see what it will do.  Just remember what the factory defaults look like and how to get back to them!
Support the12volt.com
Steelcity 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  

Your telling me it took me an hour to get it out of the demo mode.

I can't wait to add the sub.  I'm sure that is going to complicate it even more.  I'm looking to add a sub on the cheap becuase I have already spent more than I wanted to.  Would you recommend for a small suv 1 12" sub or 2 10".  Going to add another amp somewhere between 150-280 rms.  Looking at subs around 50-75$ .  Don't want window breaking but just decent bass.

DYohn 
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
A single 12" (or even a single 10") sub can provide more than most people need for just good bass.  Dual woofers are mostly a marketing gimick if you are after SQ.  Try to find a good high-efficiency woofer.  You'll have trouble getting much quality in your price range, and then you must add on the cost of an enclosure and of course the amp.  Cerwin Vega has a decent reputation at a lower price point.   To save a few bucks you might look into a self-powered system like an Infinity BassLink as these include the amp, speaker and enclosure in one unit for around $300.  There are other brands like this as well.  Go shopping and listen to what's out there.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic