head unit, max angle?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
othater 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  

This is a newby question..

Is there a maximum angle/degree (approx. 20-30 degrees) for a head unit install where i won't have a problem playing my CD/DVD's. I tried a search, but didn't receive a answer. I saw pic's in the fiber glass forum with up to 45 degrees, but I would think the cds would skip??

I'm making a custom extension to the bottom of my dash to house the head unit so I can place a monitor in place of the double-din opening.

Thanks ahead for any answers.

action1978 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  

Check your products manual,  It will usually tell you the maximum angle that you can install the unit. 

I am a newbie also, but it has been my experience that the further you go from zero degrees the more problems you will have with skipping.  i.e. even if your head units says it can be installed at 20 degrees, it will have a better chance of skipping at an angle than if it were installed at zero degrees.

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
If you drive a lowered sports car, or have low profile tires, I wouldn't recommend angle mounting.  If you drive something with decent ride quality (no real harshness), then you can even do a vertical mount and be fine with very little skipping (stick with name brand equipment).  Of course I doubt you'll find a head unit that says this in the specs, but I've seen this done before with good results.  Now if you buy a flea market deck for $20, you're on your own.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2005 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
My Eclipse 5425 can be mounted at a 45 degree angle, look in your owners manual it should say.
othater 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2005 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the replies..

the manual doesn't say..so I will try my best to mount it level in my modified dash/console.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic