icon

Infinity Kappa Comps sound bright!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
panerailover 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
I just did a custom install in my GS430. I used stock head unit with AudioControl LC6. Speakers I chose were Infinity Kappa 6.5" Components for front and Kappa Coax for back doors. Powered by JL Audio 300/4 amp. These have metal dome tweeters I found out. The sound is pretty good but very tinny and bright!! I have3 Infinity IL50's for home speakers and they sound very warm and natural with my NAD amp. That is why I went with Infinity for the car. I know these comps have a crossover, but I do not know how to adjust them, anyone have any idea how to make them sound warmer? Or just buy different tweeters or different component set? My Treble is all the way down on my head unit and it still bright. I only have about 40 hours of listening on this setup. What tweeters have warmest most natural sound for car audio, what brands? I heard DynAudio is the best sounding component if you like warm natural sound, but it is $800. Any company sells just tweeters?
01 Lexus GS430 SOLD.. 04 BMW 545i Sport, NAV Logic7
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
If your crossovers have a -3db setting or connection point for the tweeters, try that first.  Also, if you mounted the tweets high (like more than 4" from the woofers in the doors) they will be emphasized and sound too bright.  As far as a more "warm" sound, you will want a set with soft dome (fabric, silk) tweeters not metal or ceramic (or, ugh, poly) domes.  I like the RT25A in my Lotus Ref. set from Seas.  I believe you can purchase these tweets, or some like them, seperately.  Very smooth and warm sounding.
Support the12volt.com
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
First of all where do you have the tweeters mounted?
Some x-overs have the ability to set the tweeter attenuation, usually there is a flat or 0 setting then -3, -6, and so on. You must read the manual for these and find out if they have this option.
Silk dome tweeters would probably the alternative here. Yes Dynaudio makes some wonderful speakers, and they do sell the speakers separately, but they will need their own x-over.
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  

You may (should) play with the mounting angles of those tweeters too.  Infinity tweeters are just bright IMO.  I'd first play with x-over settings as mentioned above, if still no joy the try angling the tweeters further away from you - up, down, whatever sounds good.

I just put Quart components in a new Subaru wagon, stock tweeter perfs at top of door panel angles about 15 degrees towards driver.  With x-over set at -6db, they were painfully bright & point-specific.  Played with all the different mount options after that, ended up leaving them where they were & angled them forward about 35 degrees.  And it actually sounds good!

jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
i have the Infinity Kappa 6.5 component set also. I have the tweeters in the factory A-pillar locations and i agree, they are bright!! I would recommend locating them lower closer to your woofer (one of many winter projects for me). The crossovers have a setting that supposedly affects the woofer, not the tweeter. You may want to try putting some felt over the tweeter to see if that will take out some of the harshness of the sound.
Jazzy
panerailover 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
Well I mounted the speakers in the stock baffle with custom mdf enclosure and tweeters where the stock tweeters were above the mid speaker where usually all car manufacturers mount them on the same level as the outside mirror about 15 inches up from the mid speaker, I did not want to drill a hole in the door panel and leave a stock hole blank I will try to play with x-over, I need to take the door panel off. Any other companies besides Dynaudio that sound warm and sweet, not bright? Sees Lotus series are hard to find and are as expensive as Dyns, I would reather get Dyns for resale on Ebay purpose later on! lol.. Maybe I can just buy Soft Dome Tweeter, by what company?
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
That tweeter is far away from the mid and near ear level. Two unfortunate problems.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2005 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  

DLOMONOSOV wrote:
Sees Lotus series are hard to find and are as expensive as Dyns, I would reather get Dyns for resale on Ebay purpose later on! lol.. Maybe I can just buy Soft Dome Tweeter, by what company?

Well, you get what yu pay for, and good quality speakers simply are not cheap.  That being said, if you have a little DIY spirit in you, there is an inexpensive car audio tweeter from Peerless that sounds rather nice and is around $25 each.  They just don't come with a mounting cup so you'll have to fabricate your own.

Support the12volt.com
panerailover 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2005 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
does anyone want to take these of my hands, $120 shipped or best offer, like new, only 3 weeks since installed new, too bright for my taste but sound great and handle tonds of power
panerailover 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
does anyone want to buy these, i am selling them, decided to get dynaudios, I want $120 shipped or best offer, practicaly new, 3 weeks installed new.. let me know: dlomonosov@yahoo.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic