icon

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pupiz 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2002 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  

I have installed about 15 remote starters in 5 diffrent models and have reached one that I have some questions on and hoped for some help. The jeep that I used to have had a remote starter in it, that I installed 3 years ago and never had a problem with.  Iit was a 94 Laredo. I just purchased the 98 limited and a remote starter and started to read and have had doubts about installing it myself because this has some type of security system. The stuff that I have read says that a module would be required for a 99 or newer but I have found nothing for the 98 will I need a module or can I wire in as usual?? I have had it in to  the installer but they would like about 150.00 to install as he has told me these are a pain in the a%$ to put in on the Jeeps. Is this true or is he trying to make a sale. Also they have a backlog and would not be able to install after Christmas for me since I have not bought from them. I have all the wiring hookup points and have read a lot of threads here but have not found the answer to the question of needing the module or not.

Please let me Know if I can proceed on my own or should I get the "Pros" to do it ??

Eric20 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2002 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
I do not think you need a module, If the head of your key is gray you probabily need an anti theft module bypass module,  if the head of your key is black you probabily do not need a bypass module.  the bypass modules are not very hard to put in your self, they make them sound harder then they really are.  What brand remote starter do you have? 
Eric20 - Michigan
securinu 
Silver - Posts: 772
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2002 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
the dei module is a 455t  it is a doorlock and alarm module done thru the databus.
Eric20 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2002 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
The DEI module for interfacing the door lock control module, Wic will also control lock, unlock, arm, disarm, dome light supervision, and more is 455J.
Eric20 - Michigan
pupiz 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2002 at 6:41 AM / IP Logged  

It is a AstroStart 2106 very popular here in Canada. One of the more upscale models but worth every penny. No the Key is not Grey so hooking into the doorlocks system and the disarm wire with the remote start will get me passed the security worry?? If so I am going to start on it today. they usually only take me about 2.5 hours but this might require a little more research than the older jeep but this board is great compared to  how I started out. All trial and error 1st time took me two days thank goodness it was my own that time around. The door lock system will it require a resitor it has the 5 wire system I believe..?

the drivers door unlocks 1st then all the others. I really don't like that feature and would like to bypass it so that the starter unlock does all the doors the 1st time. Suggestions

Thanks in advance

re-reading your post are you suggesting a module then??

Steve

securinu 
Silver - Posts: 772
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2002 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
455j is for 99 and up , 455t is 98 and back they have a different databus language. make sure you get the right one for your vehicle.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic