icon

Using Test CD’s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dh205 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
i do not have any test cd's and i really want to make sure the gain on my subamp is not so high that it will damage my subs. i tuned it by ear and it sounds ok, but i want to be as safe as possible. i am going out to buy a DMM now, and although i listen to mostly rock, i am going to use a rap cd to do the tune on the subs. Is it okay to use something other than a tuning cd to test the voltage coming out of the amp in relation to the HU??or is a test cd imperative? thanks.
'04 accord lx sedan
2004 hondaaccord sedan alpinecda9827HU, 2kicker sx650.1monoamps, alpinemrv-f540 4ch, 2 kappaperfect 10.1svc subs(350rms ea.), kappa 6.1 components(front), kappa 693.5i 6x9's(rear).

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  

Yes.  If you are playing a regular music source the voltage will jump all over the place.  You won't be able to fix it at a spot.  Typically, use a 50 Hz tone for the sub and 1000  Hz for the mids.  Disconnect the speakers while reading voltage at the speaker terminals.

It's incredible how touchy the gain becomes when you are at the top few volts when you're setting the gain.  Just a touch of the screwdriver will put it into a higher (or lower) level.  This is something that just can't be experienced when tuning by ear.  After doing it this way, it makes you realize that "when you hear distortion, turn back the gain a little" really means just the slightest touch.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Tegpilot 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
Hey Steven, how do you know how many volts your should be getting out of the speaker terminals?  I.E. what is favorable and what is too high-low??  It it something listed in the specs of the sub?  I have a DMM and am going to do the same test as dh205.  Thanks
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  

Tegpilot, use Ohm's Law to figure it out.

Using Test CD’s -- posted image.

To find voltage, E = SQR( P X R ).  R is the ohm load, P is the watts you want to achieve.  (When deciding on what formula of Ohm's Law to use, first determing what two known factors you have.)

For example, I set my gains recently on a mono amp with a sub that has a 200 RMS rating.  So I wanted 200 watts (as long as the amp will achieve that, which it could).  The sub is a DVC 4 ohm, wired in parallel, so the load is 2 ohms.  Using the formula, 200 watts X 2 ohms = 400.  Use your calculator to find the square root, which is 20.  So 20 is the voltage I wanted to set the gain at.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
dh205 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
thanks stevdart. i just tried it and the voltage jumped everywhere.
2004 hondaaccord sedan alpinecda9827HU, 2kicker sx650.1monoamps, alpinemrv-f540 4ch, 2 kappaperfect 10.1svc subs(350rms ea.), kappa 6.1 components(front), kappa 693.5i 6x9's(rear).

Tegpilot 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
thanks man, "it all makes sense now"  *kickin myself in the head*  wish I would known that years ago! haha  So on the flip side, reverse equation, I can find out how much my amp is putting out in watts in all reality!  Sweet.  Thanks man, you made it easy to understand, more so than a graph that's left unexplained.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic