Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
a454nova 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2005 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  

I want to use a PC for a head unit.

any input on this?

The idea is to run a PC with a sound card w/ 6 channels. plug the PC into 3 amps to power front, rear, and subs. And then I can add what not to the PC.

First question: Dose anyone know of good software for this? I know PC have been used before but maybe not like this.

second: If I know right, the amp uses an anolog signal and the head unit controls the amps volume by voltage.. Where a PC would raise the volume through the anolog signal. Is that right and would there be a way to control the amps via the PC?

Any good ideas on this would be grate! Maybe Im barking up the wrong tree on this but would be cool. I have a PC and 3 amps but an older Head unit and just wanted to do away with it.

What I have..

p4 2.53-512MB-soundblaser

i can use 3 300 watt JL amps - www.jlaudio.com/amps/3002.html

or I have 4 panasonic 200 watt amps.

luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2005 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
luckydevil 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2005 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
from what i have read most of the carputer guys prefer the Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS because it puts out 2 volts similar to most headunits.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102178
a454nova 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2005 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
whats the difference in using like the headphone jack on a laptop to run an amp, the pre outs on the head unit or the sound card? just so i know for sure, what do i need to run the amp? i know i cant just plug anything into it.
luckydevil 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2005 at 7:12 AM / IP Logged  

a454nova wrote:
whats the difference in using like the headphone jack on a laptop to run an amp, the pre outs on the head unit or the sound card? just so i know for sure, what do i need to run the amp? i know i cant just plug anything into it.

go ahead and just buy the $5 audio out rca splitter from radio shack and then you can compare that with your headunit. the soundblaster audigy card should be fairly comparable to most headunits so you can decide if you want it or not after listening to the two back to back.

to run the amp you are going to need power for the amp, rca cables, and an rca splitter for your computer's audio out. as far as software is concerned you really don't need anything. i'm sure there is some computer software that will let you tweak all the sound settings, but i wouldn't worry about that just yet.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic