icon

adding an extra battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rocafella1 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2005 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
right now i have a stock 104 amp alternator in my suburban i want to add a dry cell battery what accesseries do i need to install it and how do i install it help is needed
if its not broke dont fix it
william
mini14 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
well depends on where you will mount it look at this http://hzemall.com/our_gallery/installs_tims/suburban/cover.htm this guy does great work   well anyway you can wire it under the hood like he did   but if you have no room you can place it in the back of the truck   there are two options the recommended one for a stock alternator is an isolator. its pretty much a relay that lets you use one battery strictly for aux applications and keeps one for the load it was intended for   if i had two different batteries i would do this   but if you can shell out the extra dough get two of the same battery and wire them in parallel   all you need as far as parts and what not is an isolator if you will use the first approach and some heavy gauge wire (4 or 0 gauge) so that can be in your cargo space    you can also use the isolator and have it under the hood   i would recommend at least 8 but prefer 4 gauge here    if you are to wire them in parallel then you should pretty much use the same wiring   it'd be best to use 0 gauge everywhere    you will need a way to connect the wiring to the battery   on ebay you can get a lot of 9 terminals for 6.75   good deal   just wire the positive to positive and negative to negative for parallel   good luck let us know how it turns out
mini14 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
im sorry   for parallel run the positive to positive and ground both negatives
Alpine CDA-9847---Alpine MRP-T220---Eclipse 36201---6.5" Type S Components---6.5" Type S Coaxials---2 10" Thunder6000's Isobaric
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
you know adding a an extra or replacement battery only helps when your car is off right? if you're looking for more power while running the car you should upgrade your alternator
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2005 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
you are correct positive to positive and then ground negatives. but mack sure the negatives are connected first.
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic