icon

5 Channel amp choices

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Blinden 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2005 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
I searched, and, most everything I found on this board about 5 channel amps is mostly about the belles, I would like some information on a few different things.
I'm looking for a 1 amp setup to power 4 speakers @ 4ohms somewhere between 50-100 watts per channel and a mono channel that will put out around 400-500 watts @ 2ohms.
I did find this at ikesound:
http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2666
but to be totally honest, I have no information on this brand, is it worth looking at (seems like a great price on something that matches my specs very closely)
also, if not that, I'll probably be picking up one of the newer kicker 5 channel amps (another referb) for around $300.
Basically, looking for comments on either of these 2 amps, as well as perhaps recommendations for other options that hit in around or under the $300 mark. Thanks.
Blinden
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X579 HU
More on the way...
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2005 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
Directed amps are decent quality.  You are probably pretty much limited by your $300 buedget to looking at refurb or closeout amps as most of the good 5-channels cost more than that.  Phoenix Gold makes a nice 5-channel, JBL makes a great 6-channel (with bridgable sub amps) but both of these are closer to $600.  One reason we talk about the Memphis Belle amps is because they are among the best 5-channel amps available.
Support the12volt.com
Blinden 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2005 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
Well, $300 is a pretty loose number, but I certainly can't really go much above it, not more then $400, but if I could get something that is lower price that is used or refurbished or such, I'm definately not against that.
I have been looking at that phoenix gold that you speak of, shows up in my price range... http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1877
More on the way...
Ocuriel 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2005 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
http:///.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-R9-0-5-OCTANE-R-5-CHANNEL-R-9-0-5-AMP
Tegpilot 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2005 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
Definately try the Kicker kx700.5, hell of an amp for 5 channels, and matches what you are looking for>  Ebay stores are selling them for your price range, "refurbs", but new for around 400.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2005 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
Crossfire VR705D is another 5 channel amp to consider, used it many a time.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Blinden 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2005 at 7:52 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the suggestions, I can't find a lot of info on that crossfire amp. It doesn't say what load that the power ratings are at or anything, do you have place I can find more details?
More on the way...
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2005 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  

The crossfire amp is very conservatively rated. It is a combined chassis unit, meaning a class ab 4 channel section rated at 50w x 4 and a class D mono sub section rated at 300w x 1. (all channels of this amp make more than rated power). It has a great crossover built in and a great system of wiring molex's for it.

Even though you were looking for a little more power on the sub regions of this amp, remember that you would need to double the output power to have a noticeable difference in output levels. So a 600w x 1 section is going to gain you 3 db. An amp that falls anywhere between the 300w and 600w rating will be marginally louder to your ears.

http://www.crossfirecaraudio.com/frameset.asp

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic