the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

SQ system that won't take up a lot of room?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2005 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  

I don't think your volume levels will cause any rattling issues, just be sure everything's attached to the car.  Panels etc have a way of working themselves loose over time.  I think you've got a good plan there about leaving the sub as an option for later. 

Like Stevdart said before, your choice of speakers & amp and the install quality will make or break this system, so be sure to listen to a lot of speakers before you buy.  Good speakers tend to sound "full" at volume, poor speakers sound "loud."

micahsmith 00 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  

ok. since you said 500watts may be to "bassy" then would 1 12 inch alpine type e (250watts rms) be a better choice, or the alpine type s (300 watts rms)? i want bass but i also want it to sound good, so would either of those be better than the 500watt type r? i think i might go with a 12 than a 10 just because the 12 will be more bassy.

so, which would you recomend? type e or type s for a sound quality sound system?

and what  would be agood amp to power a type e (250wrms) or a type s (300wrms) both 4ohm DVC.

thnx

boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  

The type - S will produce better quality most likely, but frankly I doubt if you'll notice any real difference between the 2.  Of far more importance is the quality of the box it's in - a cheap sub in the right box will sound better than a great sub in the wrong box.  Focus on that.  If it were me I'd get the S sub and put the money saved (over the type R) into better front speakers, that'll have the most impact on your enjoyment of this IMO. 

Seems you're putting a lot of emphasis on the subs in this system, but yet youre looking for a sound quality setup.  Subs are important, but remember that they only represent the bottom 10% of the music you're listening to - not much.  It's only going to compliment your front speakers, that's all.

Amps - two choices here.  Either go with a sub amp, class D most likely, with about 250-300w @ 4 ohm.  If you want to boost output, wire the sub with both VC's for 2ohm & you'll get a lot more bass.  Then add a front amp, 2x50wpc or so.

Or, get a 4-channel amp (like the Alpine F345) that you can run in 3 channel mode to do all the work.  JL audio has some good choices in their E series amps.  It's going to boil down to what configuration of amp(s) will give you what you need at the right price.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

A good system is one that has tonal balance and is properly matched together. If you are considering a sub system of any type, for most people who want lots of bass, this most often results in a tonal imbalance to the rest of the system. To make it a better match, consider an amp rated at about 50w x 4 to power the front / rear soeakers.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
micahsmith 00 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2005 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  

i'm back again needing some help. can someone tell me or show me a link to some good 3-way 6.5inch door speakers and 6x9inch speakers, with a good amp to power those 4 speakers? i want a good brand that will sound good, and I was looking at the Infinity Kappa speakers but those are too expensive for me. are there any better or as good as those, but less expensive? I want at least 100wattsrms or more (depending on what you think will fit the system I've been explaining in my previous posts) plus the amp to power them. if  anyone can help, i'd apreciate it.

as for the rest of the stuff, I got it picked out, but i got 1 question about the sub/amp combo.

1 (one) 4 ohm Alpine SWS-1242D 12" subwoofer. 300watts RMS

1 Alpine MRP-M350 Class-D mono amp. (350wrms @ 2ohms) to power the type s
Pioneer DEH-P80MP or the DEH-P7700MP
cheap 8gawg amp kit from Wal*mart (Sosche is the name, I think)
16ga speaker wire

If I gave the sub 50 more watts than what it's rated for, will that harm anything, or do you think it can handle 50 more watts? from the last info. 300watts - 350watts will be plenty, and I asked my friend and he said 300watts is pretty good and i'd be happy with it.

and which cd player is the best route? or do you guys know something better?

any advice will help. thnx again!

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2005 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
The number of ways in a speaker have nothing to do with making it sound better. Head out and listen to speakers and buy the ones that your ears like. Again, an amp rated at 50w rms x 4 is going to be way more than enough to keep up with the single sub you have. Are you in the US or Canada?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
micahsmith 00 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2005 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

another question, how would you run the speaker wire from the amp in the trunk to the door speakers without having wires hanging everywhere? how would that go inside the door to the speakers? and i read some come with crossovers (or maybe all..not sure. i'm new at this) what do those do, and how does that hook up?

thnx again

micahsmith 00 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2005 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
i'm in us.
micahsmith 00 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2005 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
plus i'm not a picky person. if you know a good speaker set/amp combo that will sound good by your opinion, most likely i'd like it to. (fit for the system i'm looking for). just my opinion.
micahsmith 00 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2005 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  

and can you give me advice on the other questions?

thnx

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic