icon

99 Buick Regal GS , Prestige APS-996A

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
RegalGS 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 99 Buick Regal GS (Supercharged).  I have been looking at the Prestige APS-996A.  I want to install it myself but have never done an alarm/remote start before.  I heard this is a tough one to install.  Also, I found this page...

https://www.the12volt.com/wireinfo/volt.asp?Year=1999&Make=Buick&Model=Regal&Table=Security

It doesn't say anything about a passlock (Not even sure what that is, a relay of some sort?).  Do I need it?  My key does have a chip in it.  Do I need to disable the stock alarm somehow?  Any information would be great.  I am very worried about doing it but cannot afford to have it done.  I have done tons of stereos so I am not a complete newbie.

I found the install instructions online

http://www.audiovox.com/manuals/owners/APS-996A128-6773.pdf

There are wires that are not even listed in the first link that I posted.  Any additional wires I need to know about other than the ones above?  How do you know if you need to utilize and connect all the wires or not?

Do you guys cut the wires and then use butt connectors to splice into them?  Or do you leave the stock wires intact and just strip off insulation to get to them?  I have a soldering iron and very good soldering skills (I'm a tech at a lighting control company).

Any information would be great, thanks.

godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
A passlock imobilizer prevents the car from starting without the key in ignition. You will need an extra moduel and if i remember correctly another copy of your key. DEI makes these and you can pick one up at your local car electronics shop. Never cut a factory wire in two unless your doing a starter kill(I suggest this because you don't have much experience with this). Peal away the insulation and use sodder to make the connections (Unless on the really thick gauges don't use a striper you might break the wire) Only wires you need to worry about are the alarms. And check every thing with a digital muilty meter before you make connections. And if its in a yellow sheath do not cut into it thats your airbag and you will have one hell of a suprise. And alarms and remote starts are a hard thing if your not familiar.   
RegalGS 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  

I need a copy of my ignition key?  With a chip or without?  I have two with the chips.  Why do I need an extra key?

So every wire that the Prestige comes with needs to be connected somewhere?

Is yellow a vehicle standard color for airbags?  My headlamp and starter are both yellow, how do you know if it is that or an airbag wire?  Is it not standard wire insulation (as you said sheath?).

You suggest I do one of these?   https://www.the12volt.com/relays/page2.asp

If someone has a step by step tutorial that would be great.  I don't want to get in over my head but I really want a remote start/alarm before winter.  My factory alarm is just that factory=crappy.  Thanks

RegalGS 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

Isn't the starter inhibit relay (mentioned in the Prestige installation manual and included with the product) the same as a starter kill?  If not, why is doing a starter kill optional and what benifite does it bring about?

From what you guys are saying I am going to need a bypass, is this simple?

If not all the wires are going to be used, how do I know which ones I can leave out?

I am confused by this part of the installation...

YELLOW Wire: Starter Output

Careful consideration for the connection of this wire must be made to prevent the vehicle from starting while in gear. Understanding the difference between a mechanical and an electrical Neutral Start Switch will allow you to properly identify the circuit and select the correct installation method. In addition you will realize why the connection of the safety wire is required for all mechanical switch configurations.

Failure to make this connection properly can result in personal injury and property damage.  In all installations it is the responsibility of the installing technician to test the remote start unit and ensure that the vehicle cannot start via RF control in any gear selection other than park or neutral.  In both mechanical and electrical neutral start switch configurations, the connection of the Yellow wire will be made to the low current start solenoid wire of the ignition switch harness. This wire will have +12 volts when the ignition switch is turned to the start (crank) position only. This wire will have 0 volts in all other ignition switch positions.

NOTE: This wire must be connected to the vehicle side of the starter cut relay (when used). For the electrical neutral switch configuration, this connection must be made between the starter inhibit relay, ( when used ) and the neutral safety switch as shown in the following diagram.  Failure to connect this wire to the ignition switch side of the of the neutral safety switch can result in personal injury and property damage.

Does anyone know a better wiring diagram than the one I posted?  I either don't understand or don't know what to do for door trigger input, instant trigger input, entry illumination, negative door trigger, External Trigger Input (Connect this wire to a ground pulsed output from the controlling circuit), 300 mA Horn Output, Low Current (-) Ground Headlight Output, 300 mA GROUND OUTPUT WHEN DISARMED - N. O. STARTER DISABLE ( Optional Relay Required ), DELAYED 300 mA PULSED OUTPUT / CHANNEL 5, DELAYED 300 mA PULSED OUTPUT / CHANNEL 6, DELAYED 300 mA PULSED OUTPUT / CHANNEL 7, Pulsed Ground Output Before Start, Pulsed Ground Output After Start, Pulsed Ground Output Before Shutdown, Ground Output During Start (Crank), 2 Pin Transponder Control Output: (Yellow Connector) This output is intended to allow the control of a transponder bypass interface module or transponder bypass relay, parking light flasher feed, parking light flasher output.

I also don't know if my door locks use positive, ground, two step positive switched, or two step ground switched

This would show me how to work with my chip keys without needing to get a bypass, right?

GM VATS Key Override:

If the vehicle has the General Motors VATS system installed, you will need to by-pass the system while the vehicle is operating under the control of the Remote Start Unit. To Do This:

1. Measure the resistance of the resistor pellet on the ignition key then select a resistor within 5% of the key's value from the resistor pack supplied.

2. Locate the pair of VATS wires in the vehicle, usually a pair of thin gauge wires running from the ignition switch to the VATS control module.

NOTE: These wires are typically White w/ Black trace and Violet w/ Yellow trace, however in later model Cadillacs, they are run through an orange sleeve, and are either both Black, both Yellow, or both White wires. Consult the factory service manual for additional information.

3. Connect the Light Blue Wire from the Remote Start Unit to terminal #86 of an external relay. Connect terminal #85 of the relay to a fused + 12 volt battery source.

4. Cut (#1) wire (as shown), and connect the ignition switch side of the cut wire to terminal #87a of the relay. Connect the other side of the (#1) wire to terminal #30.

5. Connect the previously selected resistor from terminal #87 to the second (#2) wire (as shown). NOTE: The above information and following diagram is for the GM VATS system only. For GM PASS LOCK System you will require the Audiovox AS-PASS II Module.

RegalGS 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  

Well let's try these questions...

1.  Do I need to disable my factory alarm and if yes, how?

2.  Where is my BCM?  (99 Regal GS)

3.  Do I need to worry about this,,,Black w/ Yellow Trace Wire: Ground Output During Start (Crank)  The Black w/ Yellow Trace wire will provide a 300 mA ground output while the starter output of the remote start unit is active. This output can be used to activate the Crank Low/Bulb Test wire found in some GM vehicles. This wire is also referred to as the ECM wake up wire in some vehicles. NOTE: The outputs above are low current outputs and must be used with a relay if the circuit's requirement is more than 300 mA.

4.  Correct me if I am wrong but I think I need to worry about these,,,if so where do they connect to?  It doesn't say...  WIRING THE 4 PIN AUXILIARY OUTPUT HARNESS The auxiliary 4 pin connector provides low current outputs to control various functions in the vehicle during different stages of the Remote Start unit's operation. Understanding these outputs and the time in which they occur will allow you to determine if they are needed for the particular vehicle you are working on as well as how to use them.

Black w Blue Trace Wire: Pulsed Ground Output Before Start  The Black w/ Blue Trace wire will provide a 1 second 300 mA pulsed ground output 1.5 second before the remote start unit activates as well as when the transmitter is used to disarm the system. Typical use for this output would be to disarm a factory theft deterrent system to prevent false triggering of the factory alarm when the remote start unit engages or when the system is used to unlock the doors.  NOTE: This output can be selected to operate like the door lock output as set in alarm feature setting #1 by selecting feature #7 on.

Black w/ Light Green Trace Wire: Pulsed Ground Output After Start  The Black w/ Light Green Trace wire will provide a 1 second 300ma pulsed ground output after the vehicle is started under control of the remote start unit. Typically this wire will be used to re-lock the vehicle doors if the doors unlock automatically when the factory anti-theft system is disarmed. This wire will also activate when the transmitter is used to alm/lock the system.

5.  The instant trigger input, latched channel 4, channel 5, 6, and 7 are all optional and appears that I won't need them, right?

I found out that I don't need the pulsed ground output after shutdown

6.  Finally, what all do I need to make this system work with my vehicle?  It shows you how to do the GM VATS override.  Is passlock just for cars that have the numerical keypad code on the door to unlock it?  Isn't the starter inhibit relay (mentioned in the Prestige installation manual and included with the product) the same as a starter kill?  I don't think I need to do a starter kill do I?  The system also has a wire to shut the car off if someone steps on the brake without the key in the ignition.  Anything else?

OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2005 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  
usually people have one specific problem. You are asking for a walkthrough of an entire alarm almost. Too many questions.
Seek out your local shop and have them install it right and you know it will come with a lifetime warranty and be correct.
soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2005 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  
find a professional.
RegalGS 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  

I got a Prestige APS-996A that I am going to install.  I was wondering if I should do a starter kill?  I am kind of confused on this topic.  The one here...

https://www.the12volt.com/relays/page2.asp

says it breaks continuity of the lead from the ignition switch to the starter motor when the alarm is armed and the ignition is turned on.  I assume this is for a remote start application.  Is it needed?  Pros and cons?  Which one of those do I need to do?

I have a 1999 Buick Regal GS, Thanks

RegalGS 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  

Oh, ok, isn't this included in the prestige aps-996a?  I found this in the manual...

Orange Wire: Ground When Armed Output

This wire provides a 300 mA ground output when the alarm circuit is armed to control the starter inhibit relay. Connect the Orange wire to terminal #86 (orange wire) of the relay provided. Connect terminal #85 (red wire) of the relay to an ignition wire in the vehicle that is +12 volts when the ignition switch is turned to the on and start positions and off when the key is off. Locate and cut the low current start solenoid wire found at the vehicles ignition switch harness. This wire will have + 12 volts when the ignition key is moved to the start (crank) position and will have 0 volts in all other key positions. Connect one side of the cut wire to terminal #87a ( Black wire) of the relay. Connect the other side of the cut wire to terminal #30 (WHITE/ Black wire) of the relay. See below for detail of wiring, also see Yellow Start wire detail for connection to vehicle considerations.

I also found this, kind of sounds like the same thing.  Can someone clear this up for me and which one I should use or if I have to make my own...

Orange w/ White Trace Wire : 300 mA GROUND OUTPUT WHEN DISARMED - N. O. STARTER DISABLE ( Optional Relay Required ).

This wire is provided to control the starter cut relay. Connect the orange w/white wire to terminal 86 of the relay. Connect relay terminal 85 to an ignition wire in the vehicle that is live when the key is in the on and crank positions, and off when the key is in the off position. ( This is where the yellow wire from the alarm should be connected ). Cut the low current starter solenoid wire in the vehicle, and connect one side of the cut wire to relay terminal 87. Connect the other side of the cut wire to relay terminal 30.

NOTE : This is a normally opened starter cut arrangement, and when power is removed from the security system, the starter disable feature will remain operational, and the vehicle will not start. Audiovox does not recommend using the Orange w/ White trace wire to interrupt anything but the starting circuit of the vehicle.

RegalGS 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  

First, I have a 1999 Buick Regal GS

I was told here that when installing an alarm/remote start to never cut a factory wire and to just strip the insulation and solder to it. My soldering skills are perfect, I solder everyday at work (I repair, test, and build circuit boards for a lighting control company www.ilc-usa.com ). I was just wondering, do people just use electrical tape after the wire is soldered on? I would use heatshrink but without cutting the wire I can't.

Where is the BCM?
The starter and 12V are located at the ignition?
The wires that are at the ignition, how do you get to them? Do they run below the steering column and under the dash or do you have to go right up to the ignition switch?
Thanks

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic