icon

0 gauge fuse holder

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
h2opolo_1255 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  
I am planning on instaling my profile 1000 watt 4 channel and an audiobahn A8000T monoblock in my civic. I recently aquired a really nice streetwires fused distribution block from a friend. The block is a 0 Gauge to 4 4ga terminals. so now i'm left to purchase some 0 gauge. but heres the questions...
#1) i've seen a lot of 0guage wire for sale... but not a lot of 0 guage fuse holders. I've been under the impression that whenever you run a power wire, for safety reasons you've gotta put a fuse on the power wire within 1 ft of the battery. if this is the case, why am i having trouble finding 0 ga fuse holders? do i not need a fuse holder near my battery since i'm using a fused block?
#2) where is a good place to buy 0ga and a fuse holder if i need one?
3#) i read in another thread that i can use some big fat welders wire as my 0ga and it'll be cheaper. is there any good reason for a money concious person like myself not to do this?   
evanc 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 4:58 AM / IP Logged  
Check out www.partsexpress.com for everything that you need.
As for the welding wire, I've heard the same thing. I've never done it, but I don't see why there would be any disadvantage of doing so.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 5:37 AM / IP Logged  

The distro block you intend to use is too big for your application.  You will need no more than 2 ga. in / 4 ga. out.

Add up the fuse values for the combined amplifiers and consult the power / ground chart, left column here.  Using the right sized wiring will result in much less expense for your install.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

The distro block you intend to use is too big for your application. You will need no more than 2 ga. in / 4 ga. out.

Yeah, but there's nothing WRONG with using wire that's too big, is there? All it WILL do is further reduce voltage drop and increase the efficiency of the amplifier. Most recommended wire sizes are based on a .5v drop over a given length, so why NOT use a wire with twice the ampacity, and reduce your voltage drop even more - at least 50% more? (looks cooler, too 0 gauge fuse holder -- posted image. )
I say go ahead and use the power wire you have, and additionally, welding cable is WAY more flexible and less expensive than anything you might get for "car use" as well, whether you use #2 or 1/0.
...and here is your fuseholder, BTW...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
You're right, of course haemphyst.  I was going on the fact that he doesn't have the wire and fuse yet, just the distro block.   And his question "is there any good reason for a money concious person like myself not to do this?"   
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
h2opolo_1255 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the input guys.  I still find it a little curious that i've only ever seen that particular streetwires fuse holder.  As much as i don't need to go all the way up to the 1/0 ga, since i had the distrib block i figured why not.  and since it splits the 1/0 into four 4ga connections, maybe eventually i'll another amp or two.  (i've considered doing something goofy like a 10" mounted under each front seat 0 gauge fuse holder -- posted image. )  another reason i'm thinking about using the 1/0 is because right now i've got my 4 channel already installed using a 4ga wiring kit i already have.  so once i get the 1/0 all worked out, i'll already have the 4 ga i need to run from the block to each amp. 
h2opolo_1255 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  

another quick question....

anyone have any good guestamates on about how much 1/0 ga i should buy for setting all this up in a 93 civic coupe?

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
h2opolo_1255 wrote:

another quick question....

anyone have any good guestamates on about how much 1/0 ga i should buy for setting all this up in a 93 civic coupe?

You'll probably need 16-18 feet at least.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
Lightning Audio makes 1/0 ga holder....  to measure just take a tape measure and quickly measure from battery to the rear and allow for the up/down  from the battery to the floor of the vehicle etc... then add 3 ft !!     remember, it's better to have 3 feet too much than 3 inches too little !!!
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
Ya i give ya one reason not to use 0 gauge. Try running the dam thing. 2/4 gauge is plenty.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic