the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Alarm was stolen, how do I fix my wiring?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Blazer84 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
Someone broke into my truck... a 84 6.2L Diesel Chevy Blazer they stole my stereo AND car alarm. And when they did it they cut a lot of wires under there. So, now I am trying to start it and the starter doesn't work... Does anyone know how I can fix my wiring?
The alarm that was in there was a Code Alarm.
Please.. need help! Can't start my truck!
endless talent 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
The alarm had either an internal or external Starter Kill relay that interrupted the starter wire.  From what you have said, since an external relay does not interrupt the wire unless it receives a Ground When Armed input from the alarm brain and in it's at-rest position would leave the starter wire connected, I would assume that your alarm had a built-in Starter Kill.  You will have two heavier gauge wires (12 or 14) from the alarm going to two ends of a YELLOW or PURPLE 12 gauge wire in the ignition harness.  you will just need to connect these two together and your truck should start fine.
Blazer84 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  
I have some pics of my wiring.. hope you cna make sense of them..
Alarm was stolen, how do I fix my wiring? -- posted image.
Blazer84 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  
Are they the 2 wires right next to each other there? The purple one.. and the yellow one with the white wire joined to it and cut?
Just connect those 2 together?
Thanks so much for helping.. seems so simple.. but I would have never figured that out!
endless talent 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  
Blazer84 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged  
Ok.. so if I understand this correctly.. there will be one wire that was cut -- interrupted -- and I just need to reconnect it... and it will be yellow OR purple..... not connecting yellow to purple..
Thanks again for your help.. sorry if I am making this more complex than it is..
endless talent 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, it will be YELLOW or PURPLE.  However, from the picture it looks like the installer used a yellow and purple wire to extend the factory starter wire, then once he wrapped the ignition harness, butt-connected those two wires to the alarm brain Starter Kill input/output (the white Starter Kill wire is still attached to one of those).  So assuming that is all correct, you could just connect the two that are hanging out, but that may be a risk based on pure speculation.  I have performed hundreds of installations, and feel confident about my recommendation, but I would definitely unwrap those wires and confirm that they are in fact the starter wire before you make any connections.  You can test the switch side by metering it for 12V+ while turning the key to START.  If the other end is the same color (again, on a 1984 Blazer, it could be YELLOW OR PURPLE), then connect them as securely as possible and your truck will crank.Alarm was stolen, how do I fix my wiring? -- posted image.
Blazer84 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 3:29 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you so much! That helps me more than you could possibly know! You rock.. seriously. I couldn't get anyone to help me figure this out. :D
Blazer84 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
Ok.. more problem here...
I took all the black tape off that thick bundle of wires..
The yellow wire with the white tip connected seems to lead all the way to the fuse block.. it doesn't seem to connect to another wire..
And the purple wire leads all the way up to the neck of the steering wheel column.. I don't see any other wires that it is connected to..
So do I just connect the purple wire to the yellow wire?
A couple things of note though.. before the CODE-Alarm was put in this truck... there was another alarm in there.. I believe it was a Clifford alarm. So there could be stray wires in there from that install too.
But when I was taking all the black tape off that bunch if wires there was a thick red wire that had been cut and rejoined and the tips were poking through black tape wrapped around the ends and when it touched the brake pedal metal it sparked..
I don't know if that has to do with anyhtiong but wanted to mention that..
Blazer84 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
It worked!
It's running! You did it! I connected the Yellow wire and the purple wire and it worked. The starter turned over and it started!
Thanks again. Thank you so much! It seems so easy now but I doubt I would have been able to do it because I would have been afraid I was hurting something.
You're the man!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic