icon

fuses keep blowing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skylark 
Copper - Posts: 191
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 3:24 AM / IP Logged  

I am still blowing fuses, and Im at my wits end trying to figure out the problem. When I play certain songs, my fuse in my dist block blows. It is at 100 amps. While the fuse at the battery is at 300 amps. Now the other fuse to my amp that runs my mids and 6.5's is at 60 amps and it has never blown. Now I thought when I fixed the gain it would not blow no more, but it has blown 5 100 amp fuses in 2 weeks. I got my gain on the jbl 1200 bp.1 amp all the way down and I do know how to set gains. So what can be the problem? I cant turn the gain down no futher, one more thing , the subs are eclipse 88150 4 ohm dvc subs wired down to 1 ohm and the amp is one ohm stable. Im using 0/1 guage wire and the dist block.

Question is, what if i bypass the dist block on the mono amp and just run straight up power, would the 300 amp fuse blow? Also since I have to keep buying fuses, could I just use an 200 amp stinger circuit breaker instead of an fuse, and run that to the amp, instead of using the dist block?

thanks

goingcrazyonsound
skylark 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 3:36 AM / IP Logged  
Or should I change out the fuse at the battery and make it a 150 amp fuse? But wont the amp be starving for power, and yes my alt is upgraded and i did the big three, I think I did overkill with an 300 amp fuse. I also did an search on cicuit breakers and I now realize what they are for, so i dont believe I can use the breaker as an replacement for my fuse to the mono amp right?
goingcrazyonsound
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
You are probably using fast blow fuses.  You need to use slo-blo fuses.  Or you could have a problem where the power cables are shorting to ground and the fuse is simply doing what is supposed to do.  Eliminate this possiblity first.  Your fuse size should be determined by the gage of power and ground cables you are using and nothing else.  This is important.  Set the fuses to protect the wiring, the fuses in the amps will take care of the amps.  NEVER use higher rated fuses than the max current the cables can handle, no matter what, and NEVER increase a fuse size simply becaue a fuse is blowing.  If it is blowing something is wrong.
Support the12volt.com
skylark 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
You are probably using fast blow fuses.  You need to use slo-blo fuses.  Or you could have a problem where the power cables are shorting to ground and the fuse is simply doing what is supposed to do.  Eliminate this possiblity first.  Your fuse size should be determined by the gage of power and ground cables you are using and nothing else.  This is important.  Set the fuses to protect the wiring, the fuses in the amps will take care of the amps.  NEVER use higher rated fuses than the max current the cables can handle, no matter what, and NEVER increase a fuse size simply becaue a fuse is blowing.  If it is blowing something is wrong.

What is the diffrence between slo-blow fuses and fast blow fuses. What I mean is how will I know cause all fuses look alike to me. The power cable is 0/1 guage. And so is the ground. i double checked the power wire and the ground for slices and cuts, none, The wire still looks brand new, Then I took it out to check it again, nothing So i know their is no short. So what should I do because i dont understand why when it plays certain songs the fuses blow, for example If i play anything by lil john, they blow right away. Maybe the amplifier is faulty??

goingcrazyonsound
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

DAMN skylark, please do not post multiple times.  It took me ten minutes to delete all your multiple posts.  Click the "post reply" button once and WAIT for the system to respond.  Thanks.

Slo-blow fuses say "slo-blo" on them.

Disconnect the power cable from your battery AND from your amp.  Connect an ohm meter to one or the other end, and test resistance to ground.  The reading should be high-off-scale.  If you have an ohm reading, you have a fault somewhere in your power system.

Amplifiers have the capability of drawing three or four (or 10) times their normal steady state power momentarily during musical peaks.  This sounds like what's happening.  On big peaks, the amp is popping your fast-blo fuse on a normal musical transient.  Slo-blo fuses have a time delay in them and will allow this kind of spike to go through.

Support the12volt.com
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
also, although many manufacturers claim their products are 1 ohm stable, they really dont like to see a 1 ohm load... i'd bet you a buck if you rewired it to raise the impedence you would find you are not only no longer blowing fuses, but not working the amp close to it's self-destruct threshold either.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
skylark 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  

kgerry wrote:
also, although many manufacturers claim their products are 1 ohm stable, they really dont like to see a 1 ohm load... i'd bet you a buck if you rewired it to raise the impedence you would find you are not only no longer blowing fuses, but not working the amp close to it's self-destruct threshold either.....

thats the plan once my other sub finally arrives.

goingcrazyonsound

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic