Bi-Amp Question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lakers08 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
Hello to all,
First off, I've perused the threads on bi-amping and gleaned what information I could. The concensus seems to be that the benefits derived from bi-amping are greatest when using an active crossover.
I currently have a four-channel amplifier rated at 75Wx4. It is powering a front component set as well as my rear fill speakers. I've minimized the gain to the rear speakers as a result of excessive output, to the point where I'm sure deck power alone would be sufficient. Which leaves me with possibly two un-used amplifier channels...
I'm considering the purchase of a set of Focal 165W 2-way components. I've listened to these in a local car audio shop and was very impressed with them. Here are there specs:

2-way separate system,
possible bi-amplification.
165mm (6-1/2") midbass,
40mm (1-3/8") v.coil,
100mm (4") magnet.
TN 51 tweeter.
2-way separate crossover
with high end components.
24 dB/oct. (3kHz) with
adjustable levels.
Max. power handling: 200W.
Nominal, power handling: 100W.
Sensitivity (2.8 V/1m): 92.5dB.
Frequency response:
50Hz-22kHz.
I've thought about bi-amping the speakers using only the supplied passive crossover. For this particular scenario, will I derive enough benefits to justify bi-amping? I could conceivably sell my amplifier and purchase something such as the Jl 300/2, but I'd rather not. I'm just trying to find out if this would work without going with active crossovers. Thank you.             
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  

If the stock passive crossover allows bi-amping, you could certainly use it and retain any EQ and voicing that Focal built into the crossover.  I don't think this is the case with the 165W as it is a single crossovr for each set of speakers, but I may be wrong.  Does the crossover have dual inputs and removable jumpers to seperate the two filters?  If not, you cannot use the stock crossovers to bi-amp.

One idea to consider is the relative power consumtion of woofers VS tweeters.  A good rule of thumb is 70%/30%, meaning a woofer uses 70% of available power to 30% for the tweeter.  The higher you push the crossover point, the less power the tweeter uses.  So in a bi-amped system the tweeter amplifier can be much smaller than the woofer or mid amplifier.

Support the12volt.com
lakers08 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, I believe that the crossover has dual inputs and would work in this type of scenario. Here's the link to the set, including the crossover:
http://www.focal-america.com/catalog/utopia/165w.htm
I'm hoping to optimize my current setup and properly use the four channels to bi-amp. I'm thinking that I'd be better served by directing the power to the components instead of the rear fill. In your opinion, would this work while maintaining sound quality?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic