icon

Do I need a Cap or not

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
northballer 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
I have the rockford t1001bd hooked up to a 15" autotek MX that is a beast but its not sounding like its getting all of the power it needs from the amp. I only have four gauge wire hooked up also. But the 800 watt kenwwod amp I had hooked to the sub is hitting harder then the rockford is so whats the problem. And i have the sub at one ohm. please help with this problem.
mini14 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
no cap   you need a better box   any old box won't do   what kind of box do you have? i can't tell you specifically, but maybe it needs a ported or sealed or just plain bigger box   someone else should have experience with this sub
Alpine CDA-9847---Alpine MRP-T220---Eclipse 36201---6.5" Type S Components---6.5" Type S Coaxials---2 10" Thunder6000's Isobaric
northballer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  

Its sealed but its not that big

mini14 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
if you want big boomy bass then you're going to want a ported/vented box   look at the specs that came with the sub and see the cuft the sub needs and buy or make a box specific to that
Alpine CDA-9847---Alpine MRP-T220---Eclipse 36201---6.5" Type S Components---6.5" Type S Coaxials---2 10" Thunder6000's Isobaric
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
If your car's alternator cannot keep up with the amp's current draw, your amp will not perform proeprly. A cap will not help you what so ever, in fact it may tax the system more.
Are you sure that amp is one ohm stable?
northballer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah the amp is rated at 1 ohm is 1000 watts rms. the sub is older so I dont have the specs for it.

northballer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
sealed is 2.5 and thats what the box is
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  

northballer wrote:
I have the rockford t1001bd hooked up to a 15" autotek MX that is a beast but its not sounding like its getting all of the power it needs from the amp. I only have four gauge wire hooked up also. But the 800 watt kenwwod amp I had hooked to the sub is hitting harder then the rockford is so whats the problem. And i have the sub at one ohm. please help with this problem.

First, subs don't need power.  We want loudness.  We try to create loudness from your subwoofer by providing it more power.  Just a little pet peeve of mine. 

Second, you say that your 800w Kenwood played louder than the Rockford.  So, your problem isn't the box or anything else.  No, you don't need a cap.  You need a new alternator. 

However, first you should check to make sure the amplifiers are setup similarly.  I'll assume you set the gain correctly on both amplifiers.  I assume the crossover is set to the same place, that bass boost is off, and the subsonic filter is turned off.  I'll also assume that the subwoofer is in the same location and facing the same direction.  Are all these assumptions correct?

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
northballer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah everything is correct except the rockford amp is getting 1 ohm and the kenwood was getting 2ohms
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
How has it gone from a 2 ohm load to a 1 ohm load??
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic