the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

is it good to bring an amp to 1ohm?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2005 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  

You stated your "fronts are getting 400W at 4 ohms."  How's that?  Your Diamond  D3400 amp produces 50 watts per channel.  Are you operating the D3400 as a 2-channel amp?  Yikes.  Your Hex components are rated at 150 watts.  If I had Diamond amps and speakers I would certainly not destroy their excellent SQ operating the sub amp at 1 ohm, or bridging the 3400 into 2-ohms per channel.  I'd rewire for total 4-ohms on each channel and take advantage of the amplifier's outstanding SQ capabilities.  300 watts should be plenty for normal subwoofer listening levels, and is about perfect with 50 watt front component amplifier levels.  If you are simply interested in having a very loud system, then go for what makes you happy and if that means maxing out the output capabilities, so be it, it's your system.  But those Hex components with 50 watts should easily achieve 100+db levels and they will sound MUCH better if the amp is running at 4-ohms per channel, and the bass will be MUCH cleaner with a net 4-ohm load on the 3600.

Give it a try, it's only wiring and resetting a few gain levels.  You can always change it back!

Support the12volt.com
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2005 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
Very true. If you can avoid it, don't run on one ohm. I run 4/3 (1.333) ohms on my woofers but i don't blast it that often and my amp puts out very low THD to begin with (.034%) and my nak head unit (0.001) so the distortion that plays is very inaudible (i've never heard it). I'd still stay around 4 ohms for an SQ application though... For kickers, i take it SPL, so put the necessary power into to play them, just try to get it at a reasonal impedance for sound quality.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2005 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
Yes I have the Hexs currently bridged, as that is how the shop recommended it to be installed, your suggesting that I just use two channels for the Hexes then and leave two unused right? Or I also have some stock speakers at the 4x6 locations that I could hook up to it and possibly fade the gain real low on, and the crossovers have a rear fill spot as well, should I go ahead and use them do you think?   Also want to verify that 150 per woofer is gonna be fine? Or do you think I should just run a single woofer? I am open to suggestions, I would have to remove the woofers to rewire them but it does not take me that long.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
TruckSystem 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2005 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
Also while I am looking for SQ overall, I do want to be able to achieve some loudness at times, will this be doable do you beleive running 4 ohm on everything? Thanks for your time and input.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2005 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
I think it'd be worth your time to try it out and see if the sound quality is noticably better to your ears.  Yes, 150 watts per woofer is more than enough.
Support the12volt.com
TruckSystem 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2005 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
Looks like I have something to do tomorrow after all, I will let you know what I think with the stuff wired that way, thank you for your advice.
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2005 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  

2 unused amp channels - sacriledge!

Plug 'em into something - taillights, seatbelt chime, low fuel warning, but use 'em...

TruckSystem 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
Yea I hate wasting amp channels on nothing, but I don't know if it will be worthwhile to hook up the stock 4x6s in the rear panels. Wish I could use one channel per mid and tweeter on the Hexs but the crossover won't allow it. I went ahead and changed the subs to 4 ohm configuration and single channel on the Hexs. They honestly get just as loud as before, and so far they seem to be cleaner sounding but I will need to give em the drive to work test since I go an hour each way a day, I will be leaving them like this for sure since I am guessing the amps will both stay alot cooler.
I did notice that the surrounds of the subs are rubbing on the grills though, so I am assuming a new box with sunk in mounting holes would be worthwhile? It was my next planned upgrade anyway.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic