icon

sub box position

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steelcity 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2005 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  
Ok will be installing a sealed 12 angled sub box this weekend in the cargo area of a 2002 jeep liberty.  Does it matter what direction the box is pointing.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2005 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
Someone correct me if I'm wrong-->
Generally, pointed them at the rear of the car provides the best results...
The idea being bouncing the sound off the rear-trunk or door or whatever the Liberty has is that the sound will travel farther before you hear it... letting the sound have more distance for wavelengths between you and the speaker...
Like.. if there isn't the distance between you and the speaker = to the distance of the wavelength of the frequency you are playing, you can't hear the frequency.
As far as personal experience goes, pointing subs into the cabin... facing forward... usually makes them a tad quieter and cleaner.. I think they usually sound better like this cuz I always install in crappola cars so I think it helps with trunk rattle. Pointing the subs rear ward usually makes them louder and a wee-bit boomier... *I* usually like the sound of them rear-firing the most.
To be totally honest with you, I can't much tell a difference unless I'm really critically listening.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Steelcity 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2005 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
I was a little worried that with children in the back seat it would feel like someone slapping them in the back of the head if it was pointed at the seat?
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2005 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
If there are children in the back, are you going to have it loud enough for it to feel like a slap on the back when it hits?
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2005 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
hehe yea either way the little ones are gonna rumble..
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
03taurus 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2005 at 7:54 AM / IP Logged  

Steelcity wrote:
I was a little worried that with children in the back seat it would feel like someone slapping them in the back of the head if it was pointed at the seat?

I guess you don't care about your children's hearing.  Remember they are more sensitive, even if they like it be careful.  I had an ex with a 2 year old that loved when the bass hit.  Kinda funny, but don't do it to much.  If you have the kids in the car, just use the subs as a background filler. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic