icon

The Term SPL

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2005 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
I have recently seen alot of people using the Term SPL or DB lately.   I believe these words have been taken out of where thier normal usage is.
Although SPL (sound pressure level)is the measurment of Pressure in a given area, and DB (decibel) is the measurement of pressure, This is normally used in high high output situations.
I dont know if it is just me that this has bothered.   I know people are trying to get louder, but by saying they want More SPL's, or More DB's...it is way out of context
A SPL System, is typically not used on a daily basis..we use ours about every 2 weeks, and it is not intended for any kind of musical reproduction. It is used for a pure Burst tone at 55hz, far from Music.
There are ways to Up your DB's easily, but do you want to listen to your system daily? I know there are only a handful of members in this fourm who actualy compete.
I have started telling people to sit in our shop car when they ask for an SPL system.   They they understand they do not!   If you want loud say loud!   On average Street systems normally measure between 130-low 140db.   I base this off of the term lab mic, and with many many shows attended.
Or best with a 100% streetable system was a 143.6 for a daily driver.   Far from the 149.9 we currently are working with, but at the downside the system goes in and out after each show.
I just wanted to see if any Shop onwers or workers have noticed the same trend going on.   It iratates me to no end, I had to say something.   Sorry for the rant..haha
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2005 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
stupid rant. Who cares? Your post irritates me because ppl who get irritated over meaningless stuff seem very silly.
ragoal12 
Copper - Posts: 135
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2005 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  

ur exactly correct with ur defination of SPL and DB.. did u go to school for that??  but a 149.9 out of a comp SPL car is not very impressive... and u talk about that not being in a daily driver... i know plenty of daily drivers that could out street beat u.... so im unsure as to why ur mad about people wanting more spl's in there daily driver.. they just want it to put up a number and street beat.. it is do able.. maybe u should try... maybe this will lead u to trying a new setup for street beat and having it actually put up a good number.... i encourage u to try it..

S.O.B custsoms.. South Omaha, Nebraska
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2005 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
Na he is off on DB, Decibells are a logoritmic scale named after Alexander Gram Bell. Written dB it is use to measure SPL, but it can also be used to measure volts and watts.    
skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2005 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  

Come on guys having a 145+DB daily driver is just plain dumb

1. Its a ton of money spent without any possibility of return
2. Its painfull on the ears after listing for 15 minutes at that level let alone a 2-3 hour road trip at the same volume
3. With all the new noise laws coming out, its going to get very expensive to if you get fined
Does the music really sound better to you at 145+ as compared to 130db and lower or is it just that thump in your chest you just have to have?
Or is it that famous bragging rights you get with you friends?
Or maybe this is just the new trend, either way good discussion

---Skold

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
blackmica3 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2005 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  

When I designed mys system using 2 8's I would always say that I wanted a nice clean sound. And now I just say I want it to tickle your nose. I never say SPL or dB.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 18, 2005 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
105 db will hurt your chest.  Most of you guys don't have a clue as to what the REAL numbers are with your street systems.  When jeffchilcott posts numbers, believe that they are real.  You realize how many wisecracks go around saying their system does 164 dbs?  There was a post on here not too long ago that said that, but when you read what the fool said and saw what he had, you knew he was living in NeverNeverLand.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
ragoal12 
Copper - Posts: 135
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2005 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart ur right he does post real numbers but the shop i go to here.. inphase car audio has world records in comp cars and street cars... its good that he posts real numbers cause lying about a number is just stupid... anything over 145 is good.. but not for a comp car... and some people r into car audio skoldspuppy thats why they have to have the daily driver that goes louder.. u may call it dumb but depending on ones setup it may be hot!  plus i think comp cars r plain stupid that is the true waste of money all that money into a car to turn on once a week maybe... why not listen to it everyday.. thats money well spent...
S.O.B custsoms.. South Omaha, Nebraska
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2005 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  

A decibel is simply a unit of measure.  It is a logarithmic and relative function used to measure signal strength. 

In audio, it is the default unit of measure for SPL (sound pressure level.)  0db-SPL is equivalent to 20 microPascals of air pressure and is the threshold of hearing (referenced at 1Khz)  Sound pressure levels (given in db-SPL) are relative to that value.  10 db-SPL is equivalent to 200 microPascals, for example.

Approximately 10 db-SPL increase is perceived by our brains as "twice as loud."  A 10 db-SPL increase at 1Khz requires 10 times the original audio power level (meaning, a 100 watt amplifier can play twice as loud as a 10 watt amplifier and it takes 1000 watts to get twice as loud as 100 watts.  Etc.)  

Any exposure for greater than one second to 140 db-SPL will cause irreversable hearing damage.  150 db-SPL can break the bones in your inner ear and you will be deaf.  The loudest natural sound ever recorded was a 188 db-SPL tone emitted by a blue whale.  The loudest man-made sound ever recorded was a Saturn rocket blast-off which generated over 200 db-SPL.  The loudest rock concert ever recorded was the Ramones in 1989 who hit 120.8 db-SPL (to beat the previous record held by the Who at 120 db-SPL.)  The worlds record for car audio SPL competition is, I believe, 178.8 db-SPL at 74Hz.  (Is this still the record?)  This SPL level required something like 130,000 watts of amplifier power.

If anyone actually has a "daily driver" car that will generate 140+ db-SPL (and it is actually turned up that loud) the driver and anyone else unfortunate enough to be in the car will suffer permanent hearing loss almost immediately and within a very few minutes become permanently deaf.  This is called physics.  Science.  Physiology.  140 db is not a good idea.  110 db as an everyday experience is not a good idea.  Exposure to levels above 80 db for longer than a few hours will damage your ears.

Support the12volt.com
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2005 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
If you dont think 149.9 is loud, check into what a stock setup can have.    In Meghans class she can run a max of 3 amps. 301-900rms rating. one battery, cannot come out of the cargo compartment.    And yes we think it is loud due to the fact it is the Missouri State record holder for 301-900 sotck.   She is also ranked in the top 15 in the US right now.    And Yes USACi world finals in oct.   Then it might be a little loud
If you want to check any of this, go for it.
here is a list of the state records..
http://www.soundoff.org/statesplrecords82005.pdf
here is the member stats and other such
http://www.soundoff.org/result.htm
the competitor is meghan Bailey # C119367
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic