icon

Speaker wire size

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hurtado_roberto 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2005 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  

I was wondering what size wire I should buy for home audio in-wall speakers.  The longest run will be about 50 feet.  I'm not sure which speakers I'll end up buying and how many but they shold be between 50w and 100w RMS at 8ohms. 

Does anyone know of a page with a table for sizing speaker cable like the "Power and Ground" page in this site?

Poly Dollies
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 19, 2005 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  

16 gauge.  That's the only number you need to know.

Use the speaker wire gauge table, and figure amperage by using Ohm's Law.  You'll find that the current will be quite small in comparison to what a 16 gauge wire will safely handle.  Remember, your dealing with 110 volts with home audio....and volts X amps = power.  The more voltage there is, the less current the wires have to conduct.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
03taurus 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2005 at 7:49 AM / IP Logged  

I thought that the signal going to home speakers was pretty much the same as audio speakers.  The voltage is just for the input power on the amp not the output.  I could be wrong, but I am almost positive. 

Anyways, like mentioned look at the chart.  It all depends on how much power loss you want to have.  Sure you can run 2 gauge if you can afford it.  My Infinity 750 home theater system came with something like 20 gauge.  I upgraded to 16 gauge, and I am running 100 X 7 from my Yamaha unit.  My back 2 speakers have about 30 feet of wire.  Just compare the price of 16 gauge and 14 gauge and see if you want to spend the extra dough.  Have fun with it, I know I did. 

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 19, 2005 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  

You're right, taurus.  It hit me later what a goof that was but I forgot to go back and delete it.  Thanks for setting it straight.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Steelcity 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2005 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
Is 16 guage appropriate for running a 350 watt sub woofer in a car?
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 20, 2005 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  

It's more than adaquate.  That's what I use with almost 4 times that power.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Teslank 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2005 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  
lol i use only 12 gauge and thats because i dont want to put power/ground wires on my sub Speaker wire size -- posted image.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 20, 2005 at 1:55 AM / IP Logged  

Larger wire looks cool, but isn't needed.  Heck, I was planning on running 8 awg wire to my inverse mounted sub where it was visible.  However now my plans have changed.  Since I will be the one building my sub, I decided to not run the tinsel leads through the cone or add terminals.  I will instead just run the speaker wire inside the enclosure and run the leads through the dust cap.  I figure that should look really trick. Speaker wire size -- posted image.  Of course now I will be using the 16 awg wire again.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2005 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  
I run 8awg on my inverted subs. I know it's way over kill, but wtf it"s car audio and overkill is fun.
Big Dave

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic