Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tee9550gt 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2005 at 5:16 AM / IP Logged  

please forgive my stupidity in advice.

Can this be done? Should this be done?

I had an old pair of orion xtreme dvc's laying around and I figured heck I should do something with them. I found a deal on a used kenwood kac-7201, so i picked it up. but I have no directions. now here comes the the problems and questions.

one of the subs was damaged in storage. the wire on the backside of the cone is pulled off from the speaker it's trashed right? ok  now I only have one good sub  and 2 channel amp.  the DVC sub is at 2/8 ohm on the spec. sheet obtianed though orion website.  why is it when I did my search most newer DVCs are rated at 4ohm? now on to wiring.... how should I wire it up with only one sub?  bridge the amp?  run both channles ?  wire the subs'  dual voice coils parralel or seires ?

here are some specs:  Orion xtr dvc 2/8 ohms, 94/98 db, Fs(hz)24, Pmax 500 watts

kac-7201 14.4v bridged 460x1 (  1ohm?I think correct if wrong), power output at 2 ohms 230X2, power outputat 4 ohms 150x2.

The amps wattage is rated at 14.4v  ha...ha.. yeah right how is that going to happen on a 12 volt system, maybe 12.6v if the alt. is charging.  I could not find kenwoods technical specs, I found these spes off an Ebay listing. oh... well thanks in advance

buy it, break it, build it better
firstclassohio 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2005 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  
the sub is a 4ohm dvc. the specs are telling you you can run it at 2 or 8 you can't run it at 4. if the max is 500 then the rms is probably 250-300 watts, that is as big of an amp as you want to go. run the sub at 2 ohms and then wire it on only one channel of the amp then you will be running at 230 watts. if you get another suber you will still have a channel left.
under promise and overdeliver
tee9550gt 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2005 at 4:21 AM / IP Logged  

So with the help of First Class and 12 volts woofer calculators, I figured out that my 7 year old orion xtr's dual voice coil are rated at 4 ohms a peice. Just like newer subs. Wire the sub's voice coils in parallel 2ohms, in series 8 ohms.

now on to the amp, First class said to only use one channel, will this hurt my kac-7201 or not? or Should I brigde the 2 channels? I am going to run the sub's voice coils in parallel.

does anyone know where to find the specs on this amp?

buy it, break it, build it better
firstclassohio 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2005 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  
an old trick to finding the specs is go to ebay and see if someone is selling the amp and alot of times the specs will be listed in description, you can also try the manufacturers tech line. running on one channel shouldn't hurt the amp, if you bridge the amp you will be running at 1 ohm instead of 2 according to what you marked down for specs.
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2005 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
firstclassohio wrote:
an old trick to finding the specs is go to ebay and see if someone is selling the amp and alot of times the specs will be listed in description, you can also try the manufacturers tech line. running on one channel shouldn't hurt the amp, if you bridge the amp you will be running at 1 ohm instead of 2 according to what you marked down for specs.
  if you bridge the amp you will still be at 2 ohms 
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
firstclassohio 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2005 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  

he wrote bridged 460X1 at 1 ohms he thinks in his original post, I am just going off of that.

firstclassohio 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2005 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
the amp will not match up to the sub when bridged if it bridges at 1 ohm you take a chance of blowing the sub.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic