icon

jumping an eq from an amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
angrygiant 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2005 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  

i was wondering if it would destroy anything if i just hooked up my eq to my amps power, ground and remote terminals. seems that it would be ok even if it didnt look the best. if this wont work then i have a question...

i have a 2002 taurus with the mach sound system. came with factory amp/tuner in the trunk. i found an explanation of the speaker wires here in the vehicle wiring database, but it doesnt tell what the other harnesses are. anyone know which wire is pos. and neg. and also which harness would it be in? thanks for any help.

jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2005 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
One of the more number oriented guys may need to answer this, but from where I sit, this is not a good idea. Sound kinda like you're seriesing your equipment, which isn't good for speakers, therefore, prolly not your processors either. Everything always needs its own power supply in my book. They should all be grounded to the same place, but not to each others load terminals. The remote wire.....i've seen done alot before, and I don't think it hurts anything, but I may be wrong. I don't do it. But its gonig to be in your best bet to give your eq its own power and ground points, not jumping from your amp.
Greed is for amateurs.
Disorder,chaos,anarchy now THAT is fun!!
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2005 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
As long as the EQ doesnt' have it's own amp built in (they still make those?) you're fine.  A passive EQ draws so little juice that it doesn't much matter.  No problem with "series-ing" it, it's not impedance-intensive like speakers.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2005 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
Keep in mind that any electrical component like that will draw a certain amount of amperage, now whether or not it will be detremental to your electrical system is very unlikely. I have done the exact same thing in the past with no problems but it didn't look too clean. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic