What size Amp do I need?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Blazer84 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
I have 2 250 watt JBL 6x9s.
Not counting the power from the head unit, what would I need to power these?
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  

250 watts sounds like their peak power rating. Can you locate the suggested continuous or rms power? Maybe a model number. The rms number is a far more realistic number to use.

Your second statement sounds odd, are you going to try to include the decks power with an amp?

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  
Since you never count the power in a head unit, any 2 channel amp, rated 75 to 100 watts per channel, would do you fine.
How much do you want to spend? We are gonna need to know that, or at least around what you want to spend, because I could recommend for you a 200 watt amplifier that'd cost about $750...
Seeing as you have JBL, and 6x9's at that, I *doubt* very seriously you want to spend 750 dollars on an amp for them...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Blazer84 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
JBL gto 923
6x9 (152mmx229mm)
3 way off-axial
impedance:4 ohms
amplifier power range: 5-250 watts per channel
This is all the speakers had written on them..
I was just curious what the max power these could take..
Blazer84 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  
Here is my basic plan...
I am rebuilding this vehicle.. plan on redoing the interior..
I am tkaing this dash.. which is actually the fram eof my old dash completely stripped of the dashpad and plastic crap..
Iw ant to fill all the openings with guages and tweeters and other pseakers.. I was thinking I could use the head unit and maybe a small amp to power that stuff
What size Amp do I need? -- posted image.
Then I was wondering the best place to put my 6x9s.. I was thingking I would build a rasied platform over the back of the bed here.. and the 6x9s would be in the middle facing forward and angled towards the doors to bounce the sound off the windws so the sound was properly direct? Just my strage idea.. probably all wrong..
What size Amp do I need? -- posted image.
I also planeed on putting 2 10-12 inch square kicker subwoofers in front of each of those wheel wells all the way to the side of the wall there..
But I am don't have any idea what I would need to power all that stuff.. and I guess I would need crossovers, right?
Sorry if none of this makes sense.. i don't have a clue as to what I am talking about just guessing here.. :/
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
the only question that is stupid or doesn't make sense is the one you don't ask and you fry equipment or get the wrong amps etc. i would suggest a amp for the 6x9's thats about 40x2 and i face the 6x9's forward in to the cab area and if your going to get subs you won't need to get a crossover the sub amp you get will have one and for the speakers and tweeters in the dash i would suggest using the h/u power to run those just to make  wiring simple up front and if your going to run subs and were you are wanting to place them i would suggest subs that don't need as much air space
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
JBL's GTO series 6X9's are rated at 100 watts RMS.  Use any amplifier up to 100 WPC.  What kind of enclosure are you planning for your sub(s)?
Support the12volt.com
Blazer84 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know if you can see it... but in that picture of the bed you can see there is an area where there are side panels.. whicha re removed in that picture.
What I was planning in my mind is to put some square kicker woofers in front of the wheel wells.. and make an air chamber that went from the subs and then is connected to that enclosed side panel area. But I don't know if this would work correctly... Does it just have to be an enclosed space? or does it have to be shaped a certain way to work properly?
The other thing I was wondering is if I could put the amps in the sub enclosure, that same side panel area?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
You should fiberglass the area you want to turn into an enclosure.  It doesn't need to be shaped a certain way, but it does need a certain intrnal volume of air.  You can't just mount those subs in the opening... well actually you could do that, but they would not produce their best bass output and would probably need to be run at about 1/3 their rated power.  It is not a good idea to mount your amp inside the enclosure, mainly because it needs to disipate heat into the air so it needs to be mounted in the open, and also because the intense sound pressure levels inside an enclosure could damage the amp... and it'd be a pain to try and adjust it for setup or if something like your HU changed!
Support the12volt.com
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
the enclosure can be any shape it just needs to be the correct air space i would mount your amp were it is accessable for tuning
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic