icon

Which box?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
GReenmitsue1 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  

I recently purchased a good used Punch 12" sub, which I will be installing in my 91 Eclipse, and will be powered by a 200w (2 channel, bridgable) amp. I am having trouble deciding which type of box I should use. It doesn't have to be a show worthy install, as it will have to be removed from time to time when the space is needed. I currently have two 6" subs in tubes.  What results would I get if I were to construct a tubular box for my 12? I listen to rock/metal 98% of the time so I prefer a sound that will punch me in the back of the head, not slowly rattle my teeth out... :P. Either a plain sealed enclosure or a sealed tube is at the top of my list at the moment. Any suggestions? Oh, and yes, I plan to run all three subs at once, and a bigger amp is most definatly in the works...

Thanks!

Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
i would go with a  plan sealed box  and i would suggest running the 12" sub and the 6" subs with different amps
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  

I don't know about using two different types of subs here. If it were my setup, I'd put that sub in the proper sized sealed enclosure and ditch those tubes.

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
dwarren is right get ride of the tubes get a sealed box with the correct size.
Big Dave
GReenmitsue1 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  

I happened to have a couple of sealed boxes from an old home stereo (heavy and solidly built, and lined with insulation) that had a single 12" in each. I loaded the Fosgate in one of them and threw it in the car. It was a bit under the 2 cubic feet that was called for, but it didn't do too bad. With the other subs hooked up it kind of sounded like ass, so they won't be doing any further duty untill I get another amp. It hits pretty good but doesn't have the snap that the 6's did. Maybe with a purpose built box it will...and I think being able to direct lower frequencies to the 12 and higher frequencies to the 6's might get me what I want. Am I on the right track here?

Thanks for the input guys, its much appreciated!

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  

Do you know what the specific volume requirements are for that woofer? My guess is that box is on the larger side of things, so a smaller box may offer the sound you are after, or at least a better over all sound. Again if Fosgate gives you the option for sealed or ported, use the smaller suggested sealed size.

Personally I wouldn't incorporate those tubes at all, more isn't always better here. I suggest you get the proper sized enclosure, even a properly sized pre fab will be better than an incorrect anything, and invest in some good front speakers, like some components, hopefully you wil provide them with amp power too.

GReenmitsue1 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
Fosgate says it needs roughly 2 cubic feet in a sealed box. I would guess that the box its in now around 1.5 cf, though I haven't measured it. As far as the 6's go, I don't have any emotional attachement to them. If I can get the sound I want with the 12, they will find another home. The rest of the system consists of 5 1/2's in the doors, 5 1/2's in the rear panels, and the tiny speakers in the dash have been replaced with tweeters. Keep in mind these are all budget components. The head unit is a Clarion, so at least I spent some money somewhere, right? LOL! The amp is something I got in a blowout sale, but it seems to do pretty good though like I said, I will be replacing it with something better.
JoeMetal 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2005 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
I have a new Fosgate Power series sub and I need 1.25 cubic feet for a sealed enclosure. I HIGHLY doubt that you need 2 cubic feet for an old Punch series sub.
JoeMetal 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2005 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
Follow up: The new Punch series subs need between .85 and 1.25 for a sealed enclosure. You would most likely be good with around 1 cubic foot, which is easy as hell to make; you basically just make a 1 ft cube.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic