icon

Viper 130XV sudden problems - not crankin

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
r6jon 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  

Hello all.  I successfully installed a Viper 130 XV remote start system into a '97 Ford Explorer about a year ago.  Everything worked fine up until recently.

When the remote start is activated, the parking lights acknowledge the command to start, the ignition comes on, and... nothing.  It doesn't crank.  It then cycles through this process a few times and quits.  It never tries to crank.

I checked the voltage at the purple start wire and there was not juice coming out of the 130xv at all.  FYI there is absolutely no factory immobilizer on this vehicle (NO PATS).  The car starts fine with the key.

I have not had a chance to pull a diagnostic code off of the car yet because the problem is sporadic and when I had the dash apart last night (the module is harder to get to than the wires in the column) it was working perfectly.  It seems to be "dead" now though.

Does anyone know what "faults" may cause this cyclic behavior.  For instance, a brake pedal fault will cause NO response from the remote start.  And I blieve the hood-pin is the same.  What are the possiblities?  My girlfriend has a busy schedule and getting the car is difficult.  I would like to brainstorm all the possibilities so that when I do get my hands on the car I can quickly diagnose the problem.  I have a gut feeling that the modules diagnostics is not going to be revealing at all.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Autoobsession 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 2:45 AM / IP Logged  
If there is no voltage coming out of the starter circuit you might have a faulty unit. Seems that the remote start is going through its usual start routine but when it doesnt start it just shuts down and tries again. Def check the unit and there should be a lifetime warranty on that piece.
blazeronspokes 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
check your fuses in the heavy guage relay pack for the remote start. i had a problem similar to that in my car. it wouldn't start when remote started. but when i put the key to ignition and remote started, it would work. i traced the problem to a fuse in the relay pack.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
There's 2 30A fuses 6" away from the brain..... one of them is blown. Here's the real check.... does the fan (heater) come on during remote start? If not, check the 2 30A fuses.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
r6jon 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
I did check the fuses first thing - they are fine.  I will try checking the heater operation to verify if I am having a lack of current problem into the module.  I did use the large Splice Connectors for all of the heavy guage wiring - should be fine with the current requirements though.  Hopefully I'm getting the car later tonight and I can do some more checking..
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
check fuses with a meter just to make sure use the continutiy setting, though not a good idea( anyhting but a sodder in my opinion) but thats not the problem since the relay is not putting power to the start wire. So my advice if the fuses arn't bad call up DEI and you sould be able to get it warrantied.
gus1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
hmmm:
I did use the large Splice Connectors for all of the heavy guage wiring - should be fine with the current
Might wanna check those things.... they can be a fire hazzard waiting to happen
Gus "wants to bomb the scotchlock factory so they just plain stop"
OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
checck hood pin and brake wire. 9 out of 10 times, it is a faulty hood pin.
gus1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
Vipers won't even go into start mode if the hood is up.....
Gus
endless talent 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  
Before calling up DEI, confirm that a GROUND output is coming from the main module's 22 ga. purple wire that triggers the starter relay.  The internal relay could be bad, though not likely.  If all fuses and grounds are good, my question is, how is the system programmed?  Voltage Sense or Tach.  If Tach, reprogram it, if Voltage Sense, try changing the voltage check level from high to low.  None of the shutdown inputs are active, since it is beginning the remote start process, so you can eliminate the brake and hood from your list...
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic