icon

faulty 791?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hurleyloser 
Copper - Posts: 157
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 2:29 AM / IP Logged  

ok i had a 791 installed in my 02 frontier by a local customs shop last year before i knew how to do the damn thing myself...

well i decided i didnt want the windows to roll up upon arming anymore and just by pressing the aux, so i got under there today and re did it... man the job was sloppy as hell, electrical tape holding everything together, nothing actually crimped or sodered, all the wiring exposed. it was just terrible.

well since day one i noticed the starter disable didnt work, so i told the guy and he checked it out and said that the brain was faulty and i needed to call dei about an exchange.. well i was too lazy to do that so i just let it be. so while i was doing the window module rewiring to channel 2 instead, i decided to add a separate relay for the start disable. i put the relay after the key... before the remote start module. so it goes like this... key>starterkill relay>remote start module>starter..  now i tested the relay with a multimeter before putting everything together and it worked fine.. when i flipped a switch the starter circuit was closed.. and when it wasnt flipped it was open. so when i tried it out with the alarm and all... when the circuit SHOULD be open.... the truck started still!!!!!!

one thing i may have failed to mention... the truck is stick and the guy wired it up to bypass the clutch... could he have wired up that relay wrong causing the starter circuit to be closed anytime the clutch is pressed in? the alarm starts up fine in neutral without having to depress the clutch... (thus the clutch bypass with the output when remote started wire to activate it..) the truck still wont start if i try to start it manually without the clutch in... just like the manufactuer intended... but it also still starts with my starter kill relay active...

im guessing the clutch bypass relay overrides the startkill and closes the starter circuit... this alarm should have built in starter disable and anti-grind anyway, but neither work... is there really something wrong with my alarm module? or did the guy really screw something up causing the starter circuit to be complete anytime the clutch is pressed in?

hurleyloser 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 2:35 AM / IP Logged  
oh yea and i had to wire up my starter kill relay with a toggle switch because the orange 500mA (-) output when armed wasnt enough to drive the relay for some reason.. when i hooked the relay up to the chassis on the negative input.. the relay would activate but when i tried using the (-) when armed wire it wouldnt do it for some reason...
Autoobsession 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 2:41 AM / IP Logged  
This car has two starter wires so make sure they are both hooked up to the cut off.
hurleyloser 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  
ok so one works as a back up? if so then i could just cut one and have the other running to the 791's starter relay.... or can i hook them both up to the starter relay from the 791?
hurleyloser 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
ok now how do i get the orange ground when armed wire to drive the relays? cause for some reason it wouldnt drive one, let alone two..
blazeronspokes 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  

87a-starter side of starter wire

30-key side of starter wire

86-ignition input

85-ground when armed

be sure to diode isolate the two starter kills

hurleyloser 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
the ground when armed wont activate the relays. the guy who put the alarm in had the ground when armed activating the window modules, so i know the wire is working, but why wont it be enough to drive the relays? when i hook them up to regular ground they click, but no luck with the ground when armed.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic